Backpaying UK pension (Class 3)

adamu
Sage

Re: Backpaying UK pension (Class 3)

Post by adamu »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:39 pmI will pay something like 15,000 pounds for an 8,000 pound a year pension for the rest of my life).
Nice way to put it. To put it another way, if you use the 4% withdrawal rate as a guideline, you'd need £200k invested in stocks to generate £8000/year, so getting that for £15k is a no-brainer.
KyushuWoozy
Veteran

Post by KyushuWoozy »

I finally completed the form and sent off my application to back pay Class 2 (if I'm not eligible for that then class 3 instead). More accurately, I sent off the form to start paying Class 2 and ticked the box that said I'm interested to make back payments too.

I called and checked it had arrived and I was politely told that it takes 65 working days to process. Well, I had ignored this issue for a decade or two so what's 65 working days between friends?

As has been said multiple times here, for Brits this is a no-brainer. It's really worth getting your head down onto this if you haven't already. It took me hours and hours of work to get everything done (research, gathering my data, phoning hrmc, checking online, filling in the form) but I'm really expecting it will be worth it. If everything goes through okay it might end up being the best hourly rate I have ever earned.
https://www.kyushujourneys.com/
Kyushu's Biggest Fans!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

KyushuWoozy wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:20 am I finally completed the form and sent off my application to back pay Class 2 (if I'm not eligible for that then class 3 instead). More accurately, I sent off the form to start paying Class 2 and ticked the box that said I'm interested to make back payments too.

I called and checked it had arrived and I was politely told that it takes 65 working days to process. Well, I had ignored this issue for a decade or two so what's 65 working days between friends?

As has been said multiple times here, for Brits this is a no-brainer. It's really worth getting your head down onto this if you haven't already. It took me hours and hours of work to get everything done (research, gathering my data, phoning hrmc, checking online, filling in the form) but I'm really expecting it will be worth it. If everything goes through okay it might end up being the best hourly rate I have ever earned.
Absolutely. It's a deal, it's a steal, it's the sale of the century ;)

Get in while you still can.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Well, I got my reply back from HMRC... And it is most bizarre...

For a start, I was born, raised, studied in the UK for 21 consecutive years...
And when I check my NICs online I get this:

I was born in the 1980s so it looks like I should meet both conditions fully!?

I guess I'll be giving HMRC a call ASAP to ask what the fffffffudge is going on....
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Bushiman wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:17 am what the fffffffudge is going on....
They are experts in opaque letters.

To try to translate a bit, to fulfil the 2nd requirement, it looks like only the fourth arrow applies to you, since it was imposable to pay anything before 1975.

I'm not sure what a "NIC Qualifying Earnings Factor" is, but I think it means you need to have three years on your statement that do not say "Year is not full". On the right of that statement it says "4 years of full contributions", so it looks like you should be good? :?:
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

adamu wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:01 am
Bushiman wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:17 am what the fffffffudge is going on....
On the right of that statement it says "4 years of full contributions", so it looks like you should be good? :?:
Exactly... I can't understand what's going on as I should meet all the criteria...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

My experience is that they will take several months to send you a letter that doesn't apply to you/make sense, in the hope that you will just give up and stop contacting them.

Persevere! Good luck.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

RetireJapan wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:28 pm My experience is that they will take several months to send you a letter that doesn't apply to you/make sense, in the hope that you will just give up and stop contacting them.

Persevere! Good luck.
Thanks! I'm certainly not giving up that's for sure... This letter arrived in less than 2 months and doesn't make any sense...
I'm guessing the HMRC will be closed for Christmas and the New Year, but I'll be phoning up first chance I get....
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

Arrived back in Japan to a letter from HMRC and it looks like I have been accepted to pay Class 2! I would never have even thought about finding out about this if it wasn't for this site - so thanks!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:27 am Arrived back in Japan to a letter from HMRC and it looks like I have been accepted to pay Class 2! I would never have even thought about finding out about this if it wasn't for this site - so thanks!
Wow, fantastic news! Congratulations on winning the lottery there ;)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)