Low-cost diversified global portfolio

adamu
Sage

Low-cost diversified global portfolio

Post by adamu »

Well Japan-based low-fee global index fund? got a bit out of hand, and the ultimate conclusion is this: No, there is no good single-fund option.

Update: Dec 2018 - there now seems to be a good option, checkout One fund to rule them all?

Perhaps I was looking for a specific solution to a general problem, a better question would have been this:

What is a simple, tax-efficient, globally diversified stock portfolio suitable for investing at a Japanese broker?
Preferably it should be suitible for all of iDeCo, NISA, and Taxable (tokutei) accounts.

The guidelines given the products currently available seem to be:
  1. Use Japan-domiciled investment funds (投資信託), and as a rule avoid dividend-paying ETFs, especially foreign-listed ones, or funds that wrap them.
  2. Use a mixture of 3 low-cost funds: Japan, Developed Markets Ex Japan, and Emerging Markets.
  3. A Rough guide for asset allocation based on MSCI ACWI Index is Japan (8%), Emerging Markets (12%), Developed Markets (80%).
Last edited by adamu on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
jcc
Veteran

Re: Low-cost diversified global portfolio

Post by jcc »

I would agree with those guidelines and for simplicity say to get a well diversified stock portfolio to just buy

eMaxis slim developed
eMaxis slim emerging
eMaxis slim nikkei average

And be done with it. Unfortunately using the eMaxis slim world(minus japan) is actually more expensive just for the privilege of them rebalancing automatically for you.

There's lots of competition out there between the index funds with tawara and nissei both having already lowered rates and talking about lowering them further, so the recommendation of which fund to use may change, but the tax principles remain the same
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Thanks jcc. I was expecting you to jump in with eMaxis slim. :D Interesting about the ex-Japan working out more expensive.
RetireJapan wrote:http://www.retirejapan.info/blog/dividends-in-japan
The best way to invest may be to buy low-cost Japanese mutual funds that reinvest dividends within a diversified portfolio. This can be done with three funds: a developed world equity (ex-Japan) fund, a developing world equity fund, and a Japan fund. To match world markets, the proportions would be 80% developed, 12% developing, and 8% Japan.
Hmm sounds familiar. ;)

I'm planning on posting some potential fund combinations myself once I've had time to sit down and look into a bunch of funds, but I've got other priorities at the moment so it will probably be a while.
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

adamu wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:31 pmThanks jcc. I was expecting you to jump in with eMaxis slim. :D Interesting about the ex-Japan working out more expensive.
... although the benefit of rebalancing yourself is mitigated by the higher cost of the developing fund:

eMaxis slim total world ex Japan: 0.15336%

vs:

eMaxis slim developed countries: 0.11771%
eMaxis slim developing countries: 0.20412%

In order to have a total world portfolio, you would also add Japan to these two sets:

eMaxis slim topix: 0.17172%

Since developed countries is 80% of the portfolio, I believe the cost of buying the 3 funds yourself is still a bit lower, but we are talking about a bit more than 0.03%.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

adamu wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:31 pm
RetireJapan wrote:http://www.retirejapan.info/blog/dividends-in-japan
The best way to invest may be to buy low-cost Japanese mutual funds that reinvest dividends within a diversified portfolio. This can be done with three funds: a developed world equity (ex-Japan) fund, a developing world equity fund, and a Japan fund. To match world markets, the proportions would be 80% developed, 12% developing, and 8% Japan.
Hmm sounds familiar. ;)
Ha, ha, indeed. Wonder where I got that from :D

Really appreciate the contributions here. The forum is one of the best things about RJ. We're about to hit 2100 posts!
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

N00bster wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:53 pmbut we are talking about a bit more than 0.03%.
Or in other words, about 20% cheaper. ;)
jcc
Veteran

Post by jcc »

N00bster wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:53 pm Since developed countries is 80% of the portfolio, I believe the cost of buying the 3 funds yourself is still a bit lower, but we are talking about a bit more than 0.03%.
0.1324% if you mix your own 3 at 80/12/8 or .1548% with japan and ex-japan mix.

Either way it's cheap. But it's basically free savings and gives you more control over your allocation. VT has a .1% expense ratio so it's really quite competitive(and when you consider tax issues it comes out ahead)

With vanguard talking about selling directly(instead of via a gouger like saison or the rakuten partnership which is just taking a huge cut in between) and nissei and tawara talking about cutting custs further too, low cost investing is really coming together here
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

jcc wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:43 am
N00bster wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:53 pm Since developed countries is 80% of the portfolio, I believe the cost of buying the 3 funds yourself is still a bit lower, but we are talking about a bit more than 0.03%.
0.1324% if you mix your own 3 at 80/12/8 or .1548% with japan and ex-japan mix.

Either way it's cheap. But it's basically free savings and gives you more control over your allocation. VT has a .1% expense ratio so it's really quite competitive(and when you consider tax issues it comes out ahead)

With vanguard talking about selling directly(instead of via a gouger like saison or the rakuten partnership which is just taking a huge cut in between) and nissei and tawara talking about cutting custs further too, low cost investing is really coming together here
Indeed, good times! Now if the online brokers could just improve their security with 2FA... :lol:
Akatani
Regular

Post by Akatani »

Which Nissei funds are considering lowering their fees?

edit: just looked up those eMaxis slim funds - Wow! I have the Nissei, but will be buy eMaxis from now on
Neil
Regular

Post by Neil »

adamu wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:08 pm
Update: Dec 2018 - there now seems to be a good option, checkout One fund to rule them all?
Bit late to the party, but the link above is broken. Do you remember where it was meant to be pointing?