Resources about starting your business in Japan

N00bster
Veteran

Resources about starting your business in Japan

Post by N00bster »

Hopefully this is not considered off-topic. Since businesses are a form of investment, I trust that it is still a valid discussion subject for this forum.

I wanted to start this topic because I found it rather hard to find concrete information about how one can start a small business in Japan as a foreign resident. Amazon has lots of books about the cultural issues and how to use the business to come here, but not much for people who are already here and just discovered an entrepreneurial vibe. ;)

Shall we use this space to collect good books/blog posts/websites that explain the different options for starting a business, the steps to register and start it, the tax and legal implications, how to fund your newly-created entity, etc?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Resources about starting your business in Japan

Post by RetireJapan »

Great topic, and one that deserves its own space. I'll move this to a new forum.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Just to kick off, starting a small business is very easy in Japan. The main problem is that people in full-time work will often be contractually barred from doing things on the side.

I work for a university, and it definitely limits the kinds of things I can do with RJ and other side interests.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

This makes me think that it could potentially be a good topic for a RetireJapan Guide, in case you are not entertaining the idea already. Clear and precise information really seems to be lacking, or I don't know how to Google. :o
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

N00bster wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:03 am This makes me think that it could potentially be a good topic for a RetireJapan Guide, in case you are not entertaining the idea already. Clear and precise information really seems to be lacking, or I don't know how to Google. :o
I will add it to the list! Right now I have enough topics to keep me writing for at least seven years (and that's assuming I hit my deadlines). Probably a good problem to have :D

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Akatani
Regular

Post by Akatani »

Noobster, how is the business going? I'm about to start something and would like to know to if anyone has any good practical advice for incorporating, and about importing (dealing with customs etc).
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Akatani wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:08 am Noobster, how is the business going? I'm about to start something and would like to know to if anyone has any good practical advice for incorporating, and about importing (dealing with customs etc).
My wife runs a small English school, and at least in her case it hasn't made sense to incorporate yet. The main reasons in favour of incorporating (as opposed to running the business as a sole proprietor) seem to be limiting liability (not particularly important for an English school in Japan) and being more trustworthy vis a vis other companies.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

Akatani wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:08 am Noobster, how is the business going? I'm about to start something and would like to know to if anyone has any good practical advice for incorporating, and about importing (dealing with customs etc).
Not much from me at the moment, mainly because I cannot take action until I get a visa that allows me to do an extra activity. However information would still be nice to gather. ;)
Akatani
Regular

Post by Akatani »

Alright, I guess I am guinea pigging it. I'm going to be a distributor of a US product so need to decide between joto seigen kabushiki gaisha and a goudou gaisha. Leaning towards the JSKK, so then I have to decide on the capital amount.
Dr.Strangelove
Regular

Post by Dr.Strangelove »

Great thread to get started here.

My wife and I have an incorporated company including our English school, a web store and distribution business of mostly interior goods. One major hurdle we had was clearing testing for customs control. We started selling table ware and because the items came in contact with food there was a lot of necessary testing and paperwork. It was costly too as the products needed to be destroyed in the process.

Depending on what type of products you intend on distributing you might want to look into what licensing, testing and paperwork is needed. As you may imagine it can be quite time consuming.

How about taking a business loan? We have taken business with very favorable conditions from our local prefectural bank. Great service and they support small businesses as opposed to the major banks.

Best of luck. I look forward to following this thread.