In practice, how much do people pay in property tax?

StockBeard
Veteran

In practice, how much do people pay in property tax?

Post by StockBeard »

I was wondering if homeowners on this forum would mind sharing how much property tax they pay? We're buying soon and I want to integrate that cost in our budget.

I have been shown documents stating that the tax is 3% of the "official estimated" value of the home + 1.5% of the value of the land, but I also don't know how much this ends up representing, given that the value of the home can be estimated very differently from the actual price one pays. I figure if people could share the size of their home + their actual tax, I could get an overall idea.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: In practice, how much do people pay in property tax?

Post by RetireJapan »

70m2 manshon, bought for 9m yen, annual property tax about 77,000 yen. More details here, and the comments are interesting: http://www.retirejapan.info/blog/property-tax-in-japan
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
DragonAsh
Veteran

Post by DragonAsh »

My property tax for my large-ish two-story home about 30 minutes outside Shinjuku (bought for 25mn) is around Y75,000.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Ancient house, about ¥55,000/yr. Maybe 135m2...?
Dr.Strangelove
Regular

Post by Dr.Strangelove »

Hi StockBeard,

Any updates on your potential property purchase?

We currently pay ¥126,000 a year total in property tax. The house is almost 5 years old-we designed it ourselves. It is a 4 bedroom house, fairly large with 3 carparks. The land purchase itself was expensive as the view is quite nice. We live in small-town Hyogo.
Jansen
Veteran

Post by Jansen »

I have an old house as well so ¥42500 this year, which actually went up ¥700 more from last year. The value of the house seems to have depreciated as much as it can, but the land is still going up.
StockBeard
Veteran

Post by StockBeard »

Sorry for a super late reply on this. Thanks to everyone for their replies. We bought the land back in May last year, and are in the process of building the house right now. Hoping to get the keys by June/July. I still don't know how much tax I'll pay, Although I did pay 90'000Y in tax transfer fees to the owner of the land at the time of purchase, for the remainder of the year (June to December). Which seems to imply the yearly tax on the land alone is about 150'000 yen/year?

For what it's worth, an additional piece of data: a colleague of mine owns a ~1 million dollar house in Meguro. Told me he pays about 500'000 yen worth of taxes a year.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

We paid 303,400 yen last year for our house on land in Minato-ku (Tokyo). I think this has gone up about 50% since we first bought in 2001 (house was new then).
inaka_rob

Post by inaka_rob »

Just looked at a house yesterday in Fukui. 800 square meter land. House is 260 meter squared. Garage was another 60 I think (two stories, fits 4 kei cars easy). it was going for 14 million. Realtor said tax on this place would be about 100,000 yen a year. I couldn't belive it was so little.