Has anyone else gotten their taxes done?

captainspoke
Sage

Has anyone else gotten their taxes done?

Post by captainspoke »

I didn't e-file, went to the office. Lots of waiting time, but the helpers were good.

DONE!!

:D ;) :P (sorry)

And I'm getting a whopping ¥18,000 back.
adamu
Sage

Re: Has anyone else gotten their taxes done?

Post by adamu »

Yes, today. But because of cryptocurrency I probably paid more in tax than some people earn. :oops: Not looking forward to my citizen tax bill in June...

I produced the form online in my own time then took it to the office to get it confirmed. In my case the helpers didn't have a clue and just accepted whatever figure I'd come up with.

Actually I went to ask them about it in January. At that time it was a small room in the tax office with one guy. This time it's tax season and they'd moved it to a huge hall in a separate part of town with 2 hour waiting times. When I eventually got in it was the same guy that I'd seen before (plus other people).
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Did it last year: http://www.retirejapan.info/blog/filing ... n-in-japan

Don't think I need to this year (thank you, 確定口座) :D
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
vapid
Regular

Post by vapid »

I just did my taxes today. It happens to be one of my most favorite things to do in person in Japan (while doing my USA taxes, even online and getting Foreign Income Exclusion is a royal pain).

I find the Japanese staff at the tax office friendly and helpful, though I have done it enough years in a row that I know what boxes to fill and how to calculate my taxes here in Japan. I have no current special investments or crypto to worry about, so mine might be quite straightforward in comparison. Also having the new kid last year means I get an additional child deduction which was handy when filing.

Have to wait and see how quickly the return arrives this year.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

I made a point this year of trying to minimize the time I spent on doing the filing - getting all the paper work together, printed out, all up including time getting to the tax office to drop the print out with them. It took me about 3.5 hours.

I will aim to do it in under 3 hours next year!

Indeed, I found that now that I know what I am doing it's easy enough. First time though trying to navigate it took a lot of time, and I spent a lot of time just playing with it to test how much different parts of my application affect the end result. It's like this any time I have a new type of income or apply for a new type of deduction.
Rezz
Regular

Post by Rezz »

I just did mine today. Took all my withholding slips, ideco papers, social insurance statements and a few other things to the main tax declaration assistance office (huge) and spent about 2-3 hours there in total. Thanks to having 5 separate jobs in the last year, I ended up having to pay 87,000 🤕 I usually get a refund.

Doesn’t help that it has to be paid in full by March 15th. Especially with the costs of moving to a new place last week. Ugh!
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

In the process of doing it. Due to receiving equity I always have to pay a few dozen mans every year since it counts as salary. :cry:

But this time there is something new: I started contributing to iDeco last year, not through my company but directly. Does anyone knows where the premiums should be deduced, as in which category?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

N00bster wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:28 am In the process of doing it. Due to receiving equity I always have to pay a few dozen mans every year since it counts as salary. :cry:

But this time there is something new: I started contributing to iDeco last year, not through my company but directly. Does anyone knows where the premiums should be deduced, as in which category?
http://www.tantonet.jp/qa/2263

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:59 am
N00bster wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:28 am In the process of doing it. Due to receiving equity I always have to pay a few dozen mans every year since it counts as salary. :cry:

http://www.tantonet.jp/qa/2263
Oh my, I *so* love this forum! :D Thanks a lot!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

N00bster wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:13 am Oh my, I *so* love this forum! :D Thanks a lot!
Ha, ha, pleasure. I had the exact same question a couple of days ago so had the link handy ;)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)