How Screwed Am I?

Self

How Screwed Am I?

Post by Self »

I've been living off-and-on in Japan for a total of about 12 years, since 1998. I'm from Canada.

1998-2000 was on JET. They deducted everything that needed to be deducted. When I was back in Canada I received a refund on my pension payments.

2000 went straight back to Japan, stayed until 2005, and can't remember what I paid into system. I can't remember if I asked for or received a refund.

2010-2011 was in Japan for a year and paid into the pension. I can't remember if I asked for or received a refund.

2013 it gets tricky. I moved back to Japan and have been here since, however...

2013 I started paying for the pension and paid faithfully every month. A few months ago, in August 2017 I decided to go overseas for an undetermined length of time. I wasn't sure if I would return to Japan, and if so, when. I went to my local city hall, told them I was leaving Japan and wouldn't know if I'd be back, canceled health insurance, pension, etc. Canceled my apartment contract, phone, utilities, etc. Left my job too of course.

I came back to Japan November 2017 (I was overseas for 3 months). I'm now back in Japan, intending to stay here long-term, possibly the rest of my life. Anyway, I registered as a resident, then signed up for health insurance and pension.

My Japanese is alright, but not good enough to really understand the pension system. Someone said that the pension payments I made before (2013-2017) don't count now.

So, I paid into the pension system consistently, monthly for 4 and a half years. What exactly has happened to that money? What has happened to my eligibility for a pension later in life? Am I really back at square one? If so, what can I do about all of the money that I put into the pension system 2013-2017? I assume I can't get a refund as I am living in Japan now, but I don't really know. I just want it put towards my pension for when I retire, if I retire, in Japan.

Anyone with smarts that can shed some light on this situation?

Thank you.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: How Screwed Am I?

Post by RetireJapan »

Hi Self

Welcome and Happy New Year :)

If you paid into the national pension scheme and did not receive a refund for those years, your eligibility should still be in the system. You can check online: http://www.retirejapan.info/j-pension.html

You will need your pension number (it's in your pension book, a card orange or blue passport-sized booklet).

You could also call the pension hotline: http://www.nenkin.go.jp/section/tel/index.html or go into your local office: http://www.nenkin.go.jp/section/soudan/index.html

I recommend avoiding the pension desk in local offices. They are sometimes undertrained and uninformed. Much better to go straight to the pension office.

Good luck getting it sorted out! Let us know how you get on.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Self

Post by Self »

Thank you for the links!
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Self wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:16 am...

2000 went straight back to Japan, stayed until 2005, and can't remember what I paid into system. I can't remember if I asked for or received a refund.

2010-2011 was in Japan for a year and paid into the pension. I can't remember if I asked for or received a refund.

2013 it gets tricky. I moved back to Japan and have been here since, however...

2013 I started paying for the pension and paid faithfully every month. A few months ago, in August 2017 I decided to go overseas for an undetermined length of time. I wasn't sure if I would return to Japan, and if so, when. I went to my local city hall, told them I was leaving Japan and wouldn't know if I'd be back, canceled health insurance, pension, etc. Canceled my apartment contract, phone, utilities, etc. Left my job too of course.

I came back to Japan November 2017 (I was overseas for 3 months). I'm now back in Japan, intending to stay here long-term, possibly the rest of my life. ...
That last statement, that you're now going to be permanent here...?

How, given your description of your prior years, can you expect anyone to believe that? As recently as last August you thought you were gone, and then by November, click(!), hey, I'll probably be permanent in Japan?

Put the question of pension aside for a while. Work for a couple years or more and prove to yourself that you're going to be permanent.

Then worry about pension.
Self

Post by Self »

Someone's cranky...
DragonAsh
Veteran

Post by DragonAsh »

Self wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:24 amSomeone's cranky...
But he's not wrong.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

I guess I scared him off...:?: