Wiki/FAQ how to do?

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Wiki/FAQ how to do?

Post by RetireJapan »

Hi everyone

This came up in another topic, and I've been thinking about something similar for a while. I think the site could do with some kind of wiki/FAQ/way of keeping good blog posts from the past visible. Any ideas on what that should look like/how we can do it easily (the site is built on WordPress at the moment.

Let's brainstorming.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Re: Wiki/FAQ how to do?

Post by adamu »

Only vaguely related, but maybe replacing the Wordpress / phpBB stack would be good for the future? They're both quite old and crusty.

For forum software, Discourse seems popular on a few other forums I visit.

For wiki software, I'm not sure. Notion is nice - but it's not free, and it seems to be more aimed at teams in a business rather than online communities. Also I'm not sure what how editing/managing it would work. 🤔

Of course https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki is the gold standard.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

The bogleheads use MediaWiki

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

I personally think this format suits the subject matter. I dislike Discord.
fools_gold
Veteran

Post by fools_gold »

Does the forum support sticky threads? I think that would be useful for a lot of the commonly asked stuff.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

fools_gold wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:07 am Does the forum support sticky threads? I think that would be useful for a lot of the commonly asked stuff.
It does!
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I do definitely think a wiki would be worth having, compared to sticky-threads. With a thread, only the OP or a moderator can edit the contents. With a wiki you can keep a definite version up to date with community effort. You also get a contributor list, which is great for managing copyright/licencing.
Jansen
Veteran

Post by Jansen »

One suggestion I have is to remove comments from the blog articles, instead replacing them with links to a forum post. This way you don't have to manage two separate user systems and it's easier to see if there're any new comments/replies to the old posts.

I'm sure there's a wordpress plug-in that can automatically generate a new forum post and link it to the article when published.