Using A Financial Advisors Is It A Wise Move?

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
thelostgypsy

Using A Financial Advisors Is It A Wise Move?

Post by thelostgypsy »

Hello everyone,

If I use a financial advisers to manage my investment portfolios is this a good move? I recently have interest to start investing. Currently I only have my DC plan from my company and I want to start investing to other markets but I am very confused and don't know where to begin.

Can anyone recommend a good company in Tokyo that I can talk with? I have seen https://argentumwealth.com/ anyone here had experience using this company?

What are your views about this?

Thank you in advance
fools_gold
Veteran

Re: Using A Financial Advisors Is It A Wise Move?

Post by fools_gold »

I haven't had any dealings with them personally, but a forum user recently posted his experiences on another thread:viewtopic.php?f=16&t=811

Basically they offer high fee products from which they get a juicy commission. It's not a scam, but they're working for their interests, not yours.

You can save a lot of money by reading some books and forums about investing and then opening a NISA account. It can be a bit daunting at first but you soon get used to it.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I think most people just need to read a book or two, ask some questions here, and do it themselves. They'll get better results and pay less in fees.

I don't know of any fee only financial advisors, so you're basically left with the salesmen and their dodgy offshore products. Better than nothing but much worse than doing it effectively.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

By the time you're knowledgeable enough to evaluate whether or not a financial advisor is any good or not (is offering anything of value),

...you'll be knowledgeable enough to manage your investments yourself.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

1. Welcome :-)
2. Read Millionaire Expat: How To Build Wealth Living Overseas by Andrew Hallam
3. Disregard the stuff about Singapore (if it's still there, I read the first edition so it may have changed) and come back here and learn about NISA, iDeCo, Japanese brokers and other Japan-specific stuff.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

adamu wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:21 am 1. Welcome :-)
2. Read Millionaire Expat: How To Build Wealth Living Overseas by Andrew Hallam
3. Disregard the stuff about Singapore (if it's still there, I read the first edition so it may have changed) and come back here and learn about NISA, iDeCo, Japanese brokers and other Japan-specific stuff.
Alternatively.

I would recommend this resource:

1. Learn the Boglehead Method

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... _investors

2. Then read through Ben`s guide

a. IDeco https://gumroad.com/l/rSGsF
b. Nisa https://gum.co/sLEXJ

Or comb through the blog and forum for the relevant info.
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

thelostgypsy wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:26 pmIf I use a financial advisers to manage my investment portfolios is this a good move?
No, a thousand times no. Good thing you asked here.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/ ... deception/
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

An excellent summary--and a new word from it: "mountebank". (the perfect word, in this case)
thelostgypsy

Post by thelostgypsy »

Thank you everyone for the insights. I have an existing DC plan from my company and I am planning to match the amount. Meanwhile, if financial advisors are not a wise move then I will probably have to open NISA account but it looks complicated to me. I hope there is a group here dedicated for NISA Beginners.
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

thelostgypsy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:38 amThank you everyone for the insights. I have an existing DC plan from my company and I am planning to match the amount.
That's probably a good thing to do.
Meanwhile, if financial advisors are not a wise move then I will probably have to open NISA account but it looks complicated to me. I hope there is a group here dedicated for NISA Beginners.
It's right here ;). Opening a NISA is not more complicated than opening shady plans with financial advisors, and definitely worth the time.