Private Equity Agency Opportunity: Can I become an agent for a foreign partner in Japan?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
shonanscotto

Private Equity Agency Opportunity: Can I become an agent for a foreign partner in Japan?

Post by shonanscotto »

Hello Retire Japan Community,

I have come across an opportunity but I am not sure if I can legally do it. Apologies if it sounds unusual, but I am here sincerely asking for some feedback before contacting relevant authorities, which might take a very long time.

A company wishes to contract me under Australian law, and not Japanese law, to act as an agent here in Japan. The role of the agency agreement is to sell shares in companies pre-stockmarket IPO to Japanese nationals.

To use the correct business terminology, the company is a private equity firm that solicits and raises funding by selling shares in companies before they list on the Australian stock market.

As mentioned, if anyone has some feedback here among such an intelligent community, it may help me on my journey.

Many thanks for any input.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Private Equity Agency Opportunity: Can I become an agent for a foreign partner in Japan?

Post by RetireJapan »

I believe you need a Broker's license in order to sell people financial products in Japan, but I'm pretty sure the vultures in Tokyo don't have them, and the FSA didn't seem too interested when I contacted them about it ('be very careful before buying anything', I was told).

That was foreigner on foreigner crime though. If you are selling to Japanese nationals in Japan they are likely to do a Ghosn on you if you are operating illegally, especially if someone complains.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
shonanscotto

Re: Private Equity Agency Opportunity: Can I become an agent for a foreign partner in Japan?

Post by shonanscotto »

Thank you for your input here. It is worth more than you know.

I will take that and make a plan.