Managing iDeCo with just the JIS&T account

Moneymatters
Veteran

Managing iDeCo with just the JIS&T account

Post by Moneymatters »

So I applied for iDeco via Rakuten. I didn't request a Rakuten Shoken account as I don't want one.

Well. "JIS&T" just sent me the login and password for their very "snazzy" website where I should be able to pick ideco investments and rebalance (switching) when required.

Whilst it has dc.rakuten.co.jp URL, the login just diverts to the JIS&T site. Rakuten's involvement appears to be limited to the products available to my account.

My questions are:
  • Should I also have an actual Rakuten ideco account or I am stuck with the tobacco stained pages of the JIS&T site?

Is anyone else managing their iDeCo just through this absolute time capsule of a JIS&T site?

Is it normal not to see your contribution schedule within the JIS&T site immediately after they provide your login details?

Scanning their 172 page Internet service guide.pdf it does seem like the contribution schedule information should be visible but I'm wondering if there could be a lag in getting the information faxed in.

On the Rakuten site FAQs it says something about needing a postal letter from the nenkin folks before you'd know what schedule was set up.

Keen if people have experience. I did search but came up empty handed.
"That guy"
Kanto
Veteran

Re: Managing iDeCo with just the JIS&T account

Post by Kanto »

The Rakuten trading account contains a decent iDeco interface for purchasing products, tracking investments, and rebalancing assets.

I think it is worthwhile.

Also, what is the downside to having another taxable account?
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Moneymatters wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:50 am Is anyone else managing their iDeCo just through this absolute time capsule of a JIS&T site?
Yes.
I set up my Rakuten Securities trading account, then applied for the iDeCo...
I sent all the documents off and requested that my contributions are handled via my employer...
I did get the JIS&T login details but it still took a while, as it seems to be the case with iDeCo, for anything to actually happen...
The JIS&T website seems straightforward enough -I haven't used the 'Switching' function for selling/rebalancing, but for just allocating the percentage of what products I wish to buy with my monthly contributions, it was pretty easy...
I recently changed the monthly contribution amount and that took at least a month or 2 to update on the site...

With regards to the Rakuten Securities platform, if I click the iDeCo tab once logged in, it asks me if I want to apply for one -so it seems even though I applied for my iDeCo through Rakuten, it's not even linked to my account!? What's that all about? I'd probably make a phone call if I was overly bothered, but I'm not. My iDeCo is set to buy the 2 Rakuten wrapped Vanguard funds (100% equities), and that's how it'll stay for the foreseeable future... Just set and forget.
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
taneandy
Regular

Post by taneandy »

Once your iDeCo account is set up you'll need to fill in the details of the account on the rakuten securities website in order to link the accounts.
Click on iDeCo tab once you've logged into rakuten and there should be an option for people who have already set up an account (iDeCo口座開設済のお客様).
You'll then need to input your account number and internet password which you should have been sent separately in the post.
However, if you do this before around the 20th of the month in which your account is set up you'll just get a message telling you that the account doesn't exist.
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

taneandy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:28 am Once your iDeCo account is set up you'll need to fill in the details of the account on the rakuten securities website in order to link the accounts.
Click on iDeCo tab once you've logged into rakuten and there should be an option for people who have already set up an account (iDeCo口座開設済のお客様).
You'll then need to input your account number and internet password which you should have been sent separately in the post.
However, if you do this before around the 20th of the month in which your account is set up you'll just get a message telling you that the account doesn't exist.
Oh, nice one! Thanks taneandy!
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

Kanto wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:09 pm The Rakuten trading account contains a decent iDeco interface for purchasing products, tracking investments, and rebalancing assets.

I think it is worthwhile.

Also, what is the downside to having another taxable account?
Thanks. Sounds good. Once I've recovered from the exertions required to get me here I think I'll do just that.

The good news is I just had delivered a couple of letters from the 国民年金基金連合会! And they show my schedule for contributions. I'll log in later and hold up the letter to the screen in case that helps.
"That guy"
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Bushiman wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:46 am
taneandy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:28 am Once your iDeCo account is set up you'll need to fill in the details of the account on the rakuten securities website in order to link the accounts.
Oh, nice one! Thanks taneandy!
Just a quick update on this...
I did fill in my details on the Rakuten Securities site and my iDeCo information is now synced in -cool, thanks!
The one thing not so cool is that Chrome does not translate the iDeCo page like it does for the rest of the site...
Chrome does translate the JIS&T site, so if I actually had to do some re-balancing, buying/selling, I'd still have to use the dated looking JIS&T website... Still, it's nice to have the numbers all in one place now.
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Just a bump for this thread.

Are we able to increase our contributions on the
JIS&T website or must I do it via Rakuten?
Thankyou in advance.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

When my wife changed her contribution amount a while back she had to request a paper form, fill it in, and return it.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)