Rakuten Vanguard ETF Funds

N00bster
Veteran

Re: Rakuten Vanguard ETF Funds

Post by N00bster »

fools_gold wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:37 amVT is more diversified and includes emerging markets and Japan, 1550 doesn't.
Good point about the emerging markets indeed.
fools_gold wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:37 amAlso, although the expense ratio of 1550 is quoted as 0.15%, it's actually 0.27% https://www.am.mufg.jp/pdf/geppou/18155 ... 201711.pdf
Not sure I understand that extra 0.108%. Isn't that the fee charged by the broker, MUFG in that case? I find it surprising that it is not more explicitly mentioned in any of the fund brochures.
fools_gold
Veteran

Post by fools_gold »

N00bster wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:57 pm Not sure I understand that extra 0.108%. Isn't that the fee charged by the broker, MUFG in that case? I find it surprising that it is not more explicitly mentioned in any of the fund brochures.
I think that's right. 0.15% and 0.1% are "operational management costs" and "investment management costs" respectively. There's tax on top of that bringing the total to 0.27%. The total fee is listed in the brochure and many sources on the internet, but some places just quote the 0.15%. So it looks like mutual funds are slightly cheaper.
Akatani
Regular

Post by Akatani »

Just realized that the two Rakuten Vanguard funds are on SBI. I got all excited but then read the info and compared it to other mutual funds and hmmm.

Looks like we have the following options:

Rakuten Vanguard VT (includes Japan and emerging markets) expense 0.2396%

Mitsui Sumitomo DC tsumitate nisa etc etc (based on MSCI ACWI ex Japan & 11.71% MSCI emerging markets) expense 0.27%

eMaxis Slim 先進国 (based on MSCI Kokusai) expense 0.20412%

Nissay 外国株式インデックス (based on MSCI Kokusai) expense 0.20412%

plus 1550 (MSCI Kokusai) expense 0.27%

VT hasn't done as well as the others in the past month and 3months. Hmmm how to choose? I have 1550, Nissay (in ideco) and the mitsui already.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Akatani wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:47 am Just realized that the two Rakuten Vanguard funds are on SBI.

Rakuten Vanguard VT (includes Japan and emerging markets) expense 0.2396%
Where are you seeing this? I can't find it.

I also can't find anything about these Rakuten funds on Vanguard's page:

https://www.vanguardjapan.co.jp/retail/ ... -funds.htm

Sounds like Rakuten are just wrapping the funds up themselves, possibly not an official partnership?
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

adamu wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:48 pm
I also can't find anything about these Rakuten funds on Vanguard's page:

https://www.vanguardjapan.co.jp/retail/ ... -funds.htm

Sounds like Rakuten are just wrapping the funds up themselves, possibly not an official partnership?
They have press releases talking about starting the funds, so it is official, why they don't list it on the vanguard page might have something to do with the deal they struck.
Dan
Regular

Post by Dan »

Fees are explained in the 交付目論見書 of a fund, which are usually available online.

Rakuten Investment Management has information about its products on its website.

https://www.rakuten-toushin.co.jp/fund/nav/
Akatani
Regular

Post by Akatani »

I see more than two!!

楽天-楽天・全米株式インデックス・ファンド
VTI

楽天-楽天・全世界株式インデックス・ファンド
(愛称:楽天・バンガード・ファンド(全世界株式))
VT

楽天-楽天・米国高配当株式インデックス・ファンド
(愛称:楽天・バンガード・F(米国高配当株式))
VHDYX

楽天-楽天・新興国株式インデックス・ファンド
(愛称:楽天・バンガード・ファンド(新興国株式))
VWO

Sorry, I couldn't link them as the address just led back to the search bar. I just went to the mutual funds section and searched for 楽天, then (the best way I know) is to click on the compare option for the 4 of them and that will lead you to an actually useful page with the monthly report linked. I can't find links to the prospectus on the actual fund page.
VHDYX was created on Jan.10 2018 so it's brand new. Could there be more Vanguard funds coming?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I like the look of the high dividend yield one, but the yield is only 2.7%??? :shock:
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Tony wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:10 pm They have press releases talking about starting the funds
Thanks for that, I think I'd seen that before but forgotten about it. Nice to see they are somewhat official.
Akatani wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:48 pm I just went to the mutual funds section and searched for 楽天
Hmm that's what I did too but I didn't get any results. Maybe I wasn't in the mutual funds section... I'll have another look later when I have time to make sure I'm looking at the right screen.
jcc
Veteran

Post by jcc »

So I've been doing some study recently and considering internal costs, tax efficiency and whatnot.

I find this offering to be pretty wanting as far as "buy and hold" is concerned and want to check if my thinking seems accurate:

What we're trading for via this wrapper is a multi-layered system with the excellent vanguard funds at the core. But somewhere a significant amount of the performance appears to be lost: examining the latest report, since the VT wrapper funds set up(not very long ago) the index it tracks was up 7.6% but the fund was only up 6.4%. If we go to a shorter 3 month diff it's 4.9 v 5.3 or .4% so not as bad. I get a feeling that there are significant issues in efficiency during the fund set up(the following nissei fund also performed worse at setup)

I compare it to the cheaper(and simpler) nissei foreign stocks fund(the main difference being that this does not include japan) and in addition to marginally lower external costs, it appears to be performing more efficiently: they appear to have tracked the benchmark index with no additional costs.

Add to this the fact that nissei reinvests dividends internally(before taxation) and it seems to be a much stronger alternative as a "buy and hold" choice.

Is any of my thinking here wrong or does anyone have anything to add? I'm a bit sad to be unable to get the full advantage of vanguards funds, but it appears that nissei is providing a pretty strong local alternative at a fair cost?