Name mistake by JIS&T

beanhead
Sage

Name mistake by JIS&T

Post by beanhead »

After seeing a number of painful (and some funny) stories about katakana names, middle names and trying to get different parts of the same group (Rakuten) talking to each other, I have a new one. I got my letters from JIS&T today, so seems like the iDeCo is almost ready to go...

But. Alas. Somehow, they have spelt my surname wrong.
So, for example, if my name is HEAD, they have me registered as HELD.
No idea how this is possible. To apply you have to send them copies of ID, which are spelt correctly. And isn't this think linked somehow to the nenkin system, where they have also been using the correct name for the last 15 years or so...?
And my Rakuten Securities account and the NISA account were also set up correctly as HEAD.

I wasn't sure if this could be an issue, but thought it best to confirm. I called, and was put on hold for 25 minutes. When I eventually got through, a very nice lady called Mori checked. She said that the Rakuten side was good, and it is JIS&T who seem to have made a data entry error. She didn't know the process for fixing it so will have to speak to them, she said. They will get back to me when they find out how it will get fixed. So, let's see...
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
beanhead
Sage

Re: Name mistake by JIS&T

Post by beanhead »

Update, in case anyone cares...
Mori-san called back. The folks at JIS&T made a mistake so I need to now apply to 'change' my name with them :o
No big deal and it will not affect the ability to choose products after the 20th, apparently.

What I learned was:

-none of the ID info you send to your broker gets to JIS&T
-JIS&T does not have access to any government information either, ie what is on your nenkin record.
-JIS&T relies solely on the paper application to set up your account.

Hence the possibility of a data entry error.
I was surprised. I assumed that since this is a government-related programme, applied for via Rakuten, JIS&T would also have some of the information that the other organizations have. This is not the case.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
OkiBum
Veteran

Post by OkiBum »

beanhead wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:48 am Update, in case anyone cares...
Mori-san called back. The folks at JIS&T made a mistake so I need to now apply to 'change' my name with them :o
No big deal and it will not affect the ability to choose products after the 20th, apparently.

What I learned was:

-none of the ID info you send to your broker gets to JIS&T
-JIS&T does not have access to any government information either, ie what is on your nenkin record.
-JIS&T relies solely on the paper application to set up your account.

Hence the possibility of a data entry error.
I was surprised. I assumed that since this is a government-related programme, applied for via Rakuten, JIS&T would also have some of the information that the other organizations have. This is not the case.
Why am I not surprised. Japan truly does amaze me on how backward it is when it comes to businesses practices. From banks to insurances to medical; everything is still heavily dependent on paperwork. Sigh! I wonder when they will accept that the world has gone digital.

Sorry, rant over!
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

OkiBum wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:41 am
Why am I not surprised. Japan truly does amaze me on how backward it is when it comes to businesses practices. From banks to insurances to medical; everything is still heavily dependent on paperwork. Sigh! I wonder when they will accept that the world has gone digital.

Sorry, rant over!
I am sure it is all about protecting our personal information. Same reason Rakuten Bank and Card and Securities cannot share information.
But, yeah, sending me another form to fill out when all it really needs is for me to send my surname to them, with an ID as proof, is a bit mental.
All over 1 letter!