Theft insurance

TJKansai
Veteran

Theft insurance

Post by TJKansai »

My son's 2-month-old bicycle (¥75,000) was stolen from the station parking lot. We are both pissed and disappointed, as it was his 21st birthday present.

In hindsite we should have had:

-heavier lock (he was using a wire, a u-bolt would have been better)
-theft insurance
-register with police

He was supposed to do the registration but procrastinated. Not saying that would have stopped a thief, but having the sticker might have been a deterrent.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: Theft insurance

Post by Beaglehound »

That’s a shame. You are likely aware but sometimes house contents insurance will cover such things. Worth checking?
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Beaglehound wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:07 am That’s a shame. You are likely aware but sometimes house contents insurance will cover such things. Worth checking?
You are right, but my wife says we just have fire insurance.
One of my American credit cards has some coverage, but unfortunately I used my Japanese card this time.
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Possibly keep an eye on Yahoo Auction or Mercari in the next few weeks...
If they cut through a lock, this wasn't a drunk opportunist looking for a ride home...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

I took your advice and found the same model on Yahoo Auct. It is being sold by a recycle shop in Hiroshima, and it seemed believable for me that a Kobe theft gets sold there a week later.

I was getting excited that perhaps it had been found, but the size is different. Seems it is a popular model and sold all over Japan.
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

TJKansai wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:48 am I took your advice and found the same model on Yahoo Auct. It is being sold by a recycle shop in Hiroshima, and it seemed believable for me that a Kobe theft gets sold there a week later.

I was getting excited that perhaps it had been found, but the size is different. Seems it is a popular model and sold all over Japan.
Keep an eye out for the next couple of weeks just incase...
Good luck!
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Bushiman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:39 am
TJKansai wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:48 am I took your advice and found the same model on Yahoo Auct. It is being sold by a recycle shop in Hiroshima, and it seemed believable for me that a Kobe theft gets sold there a week later.

Good luck!
Good news! The police recovered the bike.
We should have more details in a week when we actually get it back (not sure where it is, or why it takes a week to have it returned).

Good Karma, perhaps payback for my finding a wallet on the train a week ago and managing to return it to the owner before the doors closed.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

TJKansai wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:02 am
Bushiman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:39 am

Good luck!
We should have more details in a week when we actually get it back (not sure where it is, or why it takes a week to have it returned).

Good Karma, perhaps payback for my finding a wallet on the train a week ago and managing to return it to the owner before the doors closed.
Excellent. This happened to me in Edinburgh once, and the police themselves were utterly astonished they had managed to recover it...(group of young lads had nicked it along with several other bikes and were interrupted trying to steal more, which meant they had to abandon mine).
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

TJKansai wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:02 am...
:)
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

TJKansai wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:02 am Good news! The police recovered the bike.
Fantastic news!
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established