IB to stop charging for monthly account maintenance

JapaneseMike
Veteran

IB to stop charging for monthly account maintenance

Post by JapaneseMike »

I got a mail from them last night, but their website doesn't say anything on it yet.

Anyone else get it?
N00bster
Veteran

Re: IB to stop charging for monthly account maintenance

Post by N00bster »

I received it too. Guess that's good news for most people on the forum who want a non-Japanese broker with basic security like 2FA.
rasselbiluga
Regular

Post by rasselbiluga »

I received it too. I it also reported on some news websites, for example here.
FlamingWombat
Regular

Post by FlamingWombat »

It still mentions the monthly fee on the IB Japan website. I wonder if that info is no longer relevant, or does the fee cancellation not apply to accounts set up through IB in Japan? IB, when set up through Japan doesn't offer Lite, only Pro, so maybe that is another difference? There is no option to set up an account as a Japan resident through the main IB portal, so hopefully the cancellation of monthly fees does/will apply here.
rasselbiluga
Regular

Post by rasselbiluga »

I set up my account through IB Japan, and I still got the email that the fees have been cancelled. But IB offers two account types for Japan residents: IBSJ accounts for domestic products and IBLLC accounts for overseas products. I got the IBLLC account, so maybe the free cancellation only applies to those? Anyway easiest is probably just to ask them.
FlamingWombat
Regular

Post by FlamingWombat »

I believe you are right. Looking more closely, the page I saw mentioning the monthly fees was nestled in the IBSJ portion of the FAQ which wasn't obvious to me at first.