Declaring foreign assets at the loan negotiation table

AustinJapan
Regular

Declaring foreign assets at the loan negotiation table

Post by AustinJapan »

To or not to?
We are not able to buy property in our home country with a Japanese loan, but Japanese banks are asking if I have any foreign assets. The dilemma is obvious. Has anyone had expeience with this. Just say you had a little something at home. I’m pretty sure my income, employment and visa status would get me to base one at the local bank. But they tell me they use a third party to assess risk - and they casually asked me if I have any assets overseas. I can’t imagine there are benefits to telling them if it goes straight to the JTO.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Declaring foreign assets at the loan negotiation table

Post by RetireJapan »

I would say if you are evading taxes or not declaring overseas assets worth over 50 million yen it wouldn't make much sense to run any risk of drawing attention to that...

If not then it can't hurt to tell the bank you are wealthier than you look.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
AustinJapan
Regular

Post by AustinJapan »

Yes.
And I note on another thread that this kind of asset could be used as a tax tool.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=106
Thanks for your input
StockBeard
Veteran

Post by StockBeard »

We got asked for that by the banks too. I was willing to mention it as well as my side gig, because it would prove I could pretty much buy the house cash if I wanted to. My wife says it's a mistake because it could also be an indicator that I am willing to leave my job soon.

I think it depends if your current income makes it tough to get the best rates they have. I wouldn't mention more than I need to, basically.