Times Car Share

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
Tkydon
Sage

Re: Times Car Share

Post by Tkydon »

I use Orix Car Share. They have an option with a monthly charge and slightly lower rental cost or no monthly charge and a slightly higher rental charge. I went for the latter.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Zoomtokyo
Regular

Post by Zoomtokyo »

Thanks for the info. I'm going to register right now.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Would Times Car Share make sense for a week-long rental of a larger car (SUV or van)? Cheap K cars can be had weekly, but the bigger ones end up ¥8,000/day or more.
EmaxisSlim Cultist
Veteran

Post by EmaxisSlim Cultist »

TJKansai wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:22 am Would Times Car Share make sense for a week-long rental of a larger car (SUV or van)? Cheap K cars can be had weekly, but the bigger ones end up ¥8,000/day or more.
It depends, is this a one-time thing? Then no, probably not worth paying 800 yen monthly.

It is an ongoing thing? Perhaps, members also get a discount on regular rentals. You will need to check on the vehicles available in your area. Larger cars are rarer in the city, etc.
mikele3
Veteran

Post by mikele3 »

Tkydon wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:22 am I use Orix Car Share. They have an option with a monthly charge and slightly lower rental cost or no monthly charge and a slightly higher rental charge. I went for the latter.
Same.

A few years back I used Careco, but the 1000yen a month charges weren't worth it considering my usage.
Tolmekian

Post by Tolmekian »

Another advocate for Times Car Share, I used them a lot last year and it was 1) Always cheaper than regular rental such as Toyota rent-a-car (including factoring in the mileage charge, as for the regular companies you need to pay for petrol which is typically the same cost), 2) More flexible with usage times and locations.

I'm just now getting basic rate for middle spec cars which is nice, so I'll start to try some of those. I do wish they had a greater car selection though, especially at the premium tier which is just big 7+ seater family cars...

I did also sign up with Anyca as a cheap way to try some more expensive cars (it's personal car share), but then I read too many horror stories of the owner falsely claiming damages, and the insurance wouldn't cover it. The flat rate and no nonsense insurance with times car share is great value and gives me peace of mind.

If people are signing up, 1) There's some discount codes floating around to get first few months free so make sure you use those, and 2) There's a referral program where we both get a discount ticket if you enter my membership number and subscribe, so pm me if you'd like that!
mikele3
Veteran

Post by mikele3 »

I have an Anyca account as well! :)
but I never rented an expensive car (yet) ... I used it only once when all the rentacar near me were booked up.

my experience has been quite positive... once I went to pick up the car which was handed me by a mom coming back from buying groceries with her two kids after school... when I returned it, a couple of days later, in the evening, the dad and one of the kids come downstairs and he asked me to drive them to the parking lot since he was too drunk... lol
We gave each others 5 stars.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

mikele3 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:38 am I have an Anyca account as well! :)
but I never rented an expensive car (yet) ... I used it only once when all the rentacar near me were booked up.

my experience has been quite positive... once I went to pick up the car which was handed me by a mom coming back from buying groceries with her two kids after school... when I returned it, a couple of days later, in the evening, the dad and one of the kids come downstairs and he asked me to drive them to the parking lot since he was too drunk... lol
We gave each others 5 stars.
Anyca looks like a Japanese version of Turo. Only in Tokyo though, it seems.

I haven't done either, but some of the Turo classic cars have tempted me. A chance to drive the Camero I never owned...or the Tesla Model X my son thinks I should buy.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

TJKansai wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:11 am Anyca looks like a Japanese version of Turo. Only in Tokyo though, it seems.

I haven't done either, but some of the Turo classic cars have tempted me. A chance to drive the Camero I never owned...or the Tesla Model X my son thinks I should buy.
We rented a Vellfire last month, mainly so I could see what it was like to drive (wasn't super impressed).
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
pfdsa
Veteran

Post by pfdsa »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:33 am
TJKansai wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:11 am Anyca looks like a Japanese version of Turo. Only in Tokyo though, it seems.

We rented a Vellfire last month, mainly so I could see what it was like to drive (wasn't super impressed).
Rented an Alphard once and wasn't super impressed neither, sometimes felt like I was driving a minibus.