early retirement and university pension

barbsaka
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

early retirement and university pension

Post by barbsaka »

My husband is exploring his options for retiring early from his university. We know that his pension is reduced if he doesn't work until retirement age, but we haven't had much luck in finding out to what degree it would be reduced. I guess we're looking for a sweet spot of some reduction in exchange for leaving a few years early.

Has anyone in the community looked into this, or would you know where we might look to get that sort of information?

Thanks in advance!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: early retirement and university pension

Post by RetireJapan »

Well, he should be able to check his current pension projection by making an account and logging into http://www.nenkin.go.jp/

Each month paid increases the final pension, so it's not so much reducing the pension as not building it up as much (splitting hairs there perhaps).

University teachers were moved onto kosei nenkin a couple of years ago. There may also be some form of top-up, which HR should be able to explain to him.

Anyone else?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
barbsaka
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by barbsaka »

Thanks, Ben!
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Depending on his age--and if it's a private uni--he should be getting yearly updates/approximations. 私学共済 also holds consultation sessions around the country for near-retirees, a general/public walk through some handouts followed by personal Q&A. (It was every other year where I am.) Or, you can just call and talk to them (have your number ready).

Public schools undoubtedly have something similar.