10%
Zirconia ¥140,000
20%

Total votes: 10

TJKansai
Veteran

Dental Crowns: Best choice?

Post by TJKansai »

Today I got the "hard" sell from the dental assistant. First time this happened. In truth it was not a very hard sell. She explained slowly and carefully and I understood all. I did a bit of searching online in English and the prices are not so different from the US at least.

She did not recommend all-ceramic (fragile) or gold (ugly).

There are tradeoffs for the ones covered by insurance. Plastic looks okay but is weaker, metal is uglier.

The other 4 options are not covered by insurance, but they come with a "fiber" post which is supposedly better than a metal post.
Teflon
Veteran

Re: Dental Crowns: Best choice?

Post by Teflon »

I voted for the zirconia crown because I'm getting that installed in a couple of weeks. I had a metal crown installed a few years ago by a Japanese dentist and the fit is wrong and it's causing problems. Last August I went to an English speaking Japanese dentist in Harajuku to get the crown replaced and he recommended the zirconia because it's extremely durable and should last for the rest of my life. Needless to say, that was a key selling point!

This guy charges only 80,000 for the "All Zirconia Crown" option:
http://www.trustdental.jp/english/fees.htm
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Teflon wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:16 pm I voted for the zirconia crown because I'm getting that installed in a couple of weeks. I had a metal crown installed a few years ago by a Japanese dentist and the fit is wrong and it's causing problems. Last August I went to an English speaking Japanese dentist in Harajuku to get the crown replaced and he recommended the zirconia because it's extremely durable and should last for the rest of my life. Needless to say, that was a key selling point!

This guy charges only 80,000 for the "All Zirconia Crown" option:
http://www.trustdental.jp/english/fees.htm
That is a lot more reasonable than my local guy at ¥140,000. I wonder if that is due to the supplier or profit margin.
I also saw ¥80,000 listed on another J dentist site. Not sure if I want to shop around or perhaps negotiate.

Edit: I see your guy has a pretty high price for the all-porcelain, which makes me think this is a supplier issue.

My local guy is only a 10 minute walk away. The other Japanese dentist I have seen is over an hour away, but he is an English speaker with a DDS degree from Harvard plus a Japanese national uni. Talk about an overachiever.

The time for a crown to last is important. The other big factor is whether the fit is good enough to prevent a cavity from sneaking underneath and causing more trouble in the future.

I found out national insurance covers different types of crowns depending on which part of the mouth the tooth is in.

This guy lists his prices, and they appear more than my local guy.
https://www.kikuchi-shinbi.com/pages/price.html
mule96
Veteran

Post by mule96 »

I am not sur which one I did, but because I do teeth grinding while sleeping ony one was good, I think it was Zirconia. Cost was 77,000 JPY.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

My plastic ones are awesome. Cheap and long-lasting.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓