Getting an inspection on a used property

TokyoTower
Regular

Getting an inspection on a used property

Post by TokyoTower »

Does anybody have experience getting an inspection done on a used property before they buy?

I looked on the internet and the average cost seems to be around 50,000.

I'm aware that getting an inspection done is a normal process in the US and Europe, but it is not so common in Japan.

I'm thinking of buying a 15-year-old mansion. Do you think I need an inspection, considering that the mansion has detailed records of any work done to the place?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Getting an inspection on a used property

Post by RetireJapan »

Seems a small amount compared to the purchase price...
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Re: Getting an inspection on a used property

Post by goodandbadjapan »

I worried about this when we bought our house and had an acquaintance in the building industry give the house a quick look over. Nothing professional, really, but it put my mind more at rest. However, what I was told at the time, was that the agents selling the property would have had it inspected and the bank offering the loan would have been satisfied enough with the condition to offer the loan. I don't know how much of that is actually the case - they maybe just told me that to stop me voicing my concerns! The property did come with two years' snagging though, so any faults we discovered in that time would be fixed free of charge. We had to get some plumbing work done on the pipes under the ground and the selling agents were as good as their word and fixed it.

But I agree with Ben. ¥50,000 doesn't seem much to pay in the grand scheme of things and is probably worth it just to know you are not buying a dud.