Selling and repurchasing stock

Nishiki2013

Selling and repurchasing stock

Post by Nishiki2013 »

Just a quick question:

I've recently opened a NISA account with Matsui Shoken. I already have a number of S&P 500 shares in a non-NISA account with them (特定口座).

Does anybody know if it would be worth selling those shares now (for a marginal profit) and then using the money to buy them again within my NISA account? Capital Gains tax is 20%, I believe, and as I only have a few I'm wondering whether it's worth the minor hassle of selling and repurchasing or not.

I asked Mastui (perhaps naively) about transferring them but they said it wasn't possible.

Thanks in advance.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Selling and repurchasing stock

Post by RetireJapan »

Probably depends :)

Do you have enough money to max out your NISA account without selling the shares? If so I would be inclined to do that instead. If not, you have to consider whether the tax saving on dividends/capital gains is going to be worth paying capital gains now.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Nishiki2013

Post by Nishiki2013 »

It's only about ¥100,000 worth of shares so I suppose it'll be best to just leave them as they are.
Akatani
Regular

Post by Akatani »

I've thought about that too. Or selling an etf when it's on a high with the plan on rebuying it in a few days when it drops on the next North Korea threat.