New House Video

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: New House Video

Post by RetireJapan »

captainspoke wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:42 pm A gas dryer is the bee's knees, or cat's meow, or however you may put it--especially if you have kids, and/or are in a wetter part of the country. Running cost is minimal (city gas for us), tho the unit itself isn't cheap, but it's a simple design and can have a very long life. Even things we might hang out we tumble for 5-10min to 'finish' and fluff.
We're not allowed to have one in our manshon, but we bought one for the in-laws and try to use it when we go over there. They are wonderful (the gas dryers, that is ;) ).
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

captainspoke wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:42 pm A gas dryer is the bee's knees, or cat's meow, or however you may put it--especially if you have kids, and/or are in a wetter part of the country. Running cost is minimal (city gas for us), tho the unit itself isn't cheap, but it's a simple design and can have a very long life. Even things we might hang out we tumble for 5-10min to 'finish' and fluff.
Our washing machine has a dryer mode, but the capacity is really small and my wife says it is expensive to run, so she never uses it. I imagine hooking up a gas dryer above our washing machine could be doable, given the gas runs the bath heater (on the exterior wall) nearby. But whether my wife would change from her sun-drying habits is a big IF.
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

TJKansai wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:04 am But whether my wife would change from her sun-drying habits is a big IF.
Despite my mother-in-law being really insistent on sun drying absolutely everything (cause I guess sun bleaching isn't a thing in Japan), my wife is more than happy to use the dryer.
Fritz
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by Fritz »

Hi Tony, good architect, nice design, hope you enjoy living there. Could you please give me the name or link to the maker of the sliding doors to the balcony on the second floor, please? I would like to use a similar design. THX!
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

After a bit of searching it looks like it is a company called Rainbow Ocean View.

Looks like they are part of a construction company, here is the companies website https://passiop.com/, and more specifically the window makers section is here https://passiop.com/category/rob/

Hope that helps.
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

Is that an external exhaust dryer? If so I’m very jealous. I have one of those recycled air washer/dryers which is not good for the air quality in the house and in spews lint. Were you able to have it purchased and installed in Japan (if so what’s the brand/ model) or did you have to out market/self-install?
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

Gulliver wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:32 am Is that an external exhaust dryer? If so I’m very jealous. I have one of those recycled air washer/dryers which is not good for the air quality in the house and in spews lint. Were you able to have it purchased and installed in Japan (if so what’s the brand/ model) or did you have to out market/self-install?
Yeah, it's a gas dryer with external exhaust. It's called kantakun and is made by rinnai. We always planned to have it, so it was included in all the designs by the architect, and was bought and installed by the construction company.
camikins

Post by camikins »

Super gorgeous house - I'm envious.
I'm currently in Canada, having previously lived / worked in Japan. My spouse is JP.
I'm hoping to return / retire in Japan.

I believe based on the video, this is in Hiroshima. Was it an empty lot, or you purchased a lot with an old house, and removed it? Also may I ask all-in what the total costs were?
camikins

Post by camikins »

I love this house. Thanks for the video and tour.

BTW I also love the views from the living room, overlooking the city. Was this by design, the views? Also, was there a property on the site prior, or was it an empty lot?