EV Charging Port Parking Lot

fools_gold
Veteran

Re: EV Charging Port Parking Lot

Post by fools_gold »

The plan sounds interesting, but there is quite a capital outlay. The solar charging stations linked to cost $65,000. Also, because they're solar the charging power is limited. I think it takes them about 8-12 hours to charge a car.

Something I've not really seen here is covered parking with solar panels on the roof. If you did that you make money off the solar panels by selling back to the electric companies as well as collecting parking fees from people who park underneath. I'm sure you could charge a little more too for the protection for the elements they'd get.
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

Moneymatters wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:13 am Whether you are a vendor/builder of just visiting a ungrateful relative. Bening able to charge in a residential area will be a boon to EV adoption..
This was also my line of thought. The pay parking near my current residence is full nearly every day. It is not close in vicinity to the train station or a business district.

My pipe dream of a closed loop solar station is probably currently untenable (Hey Elon Musk! when you’re finished playing in space please get on this problem ;) ). Besides earning eco-groovy points and possibly ingratiating myself the local planners and tax office, the cost benefit would probably not pan out unless heavily government subsidized.

There are hybrid (solar/grid) fast charging level 3 plug and play stations available (at least in North America).

It looks like more research is needed as to which way the subsidies are leaning: renewable energy vs carbon offset.

Like @fools_gold said capital outlay is key to profitability here.
Last edited by Gulliver on Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

Decent idea, but given the high CAPEX costs and the (extremely) low revenue potential, this kind of play is better suited for a large corporate trying to make a statement regarding their carbon-neutral bona fides.

EV"s still make up just 1% or so of the total car parque, and the vast majority of charging is currently done overnight at home. Yes, the ratio of EVs vis-a-vis ICEs will rise, but it will not be a sudden exponential shift, rather it will be gradual and slow, playing out over the next three decades. By the time EV's account for even 50% of the total car parque, your expensive chargers will be woefully out of date.

And let's not even get into companies like Toyota fighting against EVs. Even if they're just sightly successful in pushing hydrogen, say for a decade or so, it will have detrimental knock-on effects that depress EV penetration rates from rising as high as they perhaps should.

So my assessment is, nice sentiment that could be a decent idea for utilizing your plot of land, but if you're going to do it do NOT stump up the cash yourself, find some other chump willing to pay. If it's a great location, maybe you could lease it to some company who wants to do it. As a business idea it's virtually a guaranteed loss.
Copyleft

Post by Copyleft »

Gulliver wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:32 am One of the things I should’ve added to the goals of this brainstorming effort is that I am seeking the project to be scalable (increasing scope/value over time) over the next 30 years (the time frame the Government gives for 100% EV conversion), as opposed to building a residential structure which only seems to lose value here over 30 years.

You’re probably correct about the and feasibility of this particular model due to seismic compliance problems- but this is the exact type of discussion I wanted to have. (Also remember that model is just an example I wanted to put up showcasing the multitude of options now available for charging stations).

Keep the critiques/ideas coming.
I worried about wind instead shaking, asphalt have thermal problem because the material used to make it over time your unit will be loose and maybe fly away give to you headache