Collecting after an accident

TJKansai
Veteran

Collecting after an accident

Post by TJKansai »

My son got hit while riding his bicycle on a crosswalk (he had the green light, the driver was turning without looking or signaling). He is basically okay but getting some knee and neck TP.

The driver gave his business card but then drove off and did not call the police. BIG mistake, and after my son called the cops they assigned 100% fault to the driver.

The driver's insurance company was being a bit iffy about payments, so my wife has taken up the cause, and thanks to the internet there is plenty of info.

Turns out we actually have a lawyer should we need one, courtesy of our Toyoto car insurance policy.

I am learning a lot from being on the sidelines now. I post an update when all is said and done.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Collecting after an accident

Post by RetireJapan »

Sorry to hear but happy that there doesn't seem to be much damage.

Many adults seem to do this to kids and try to take advantage of their lack of knowledge etc.: "oh, are you okay? Great, bye then." One of my stepdaughters had something similar.

Interested to hear how things develop!
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:34 am Many adults seem to do this to kids and try to take advantage of their lack of knowledge etc.: "oh, are you okay? Great, bye then." One of my stepdaughters had something similar.

Interested to hear how things develop!
Yeah, he was like "are you okay?, here's my card if you go to the doctor later. Gotta leave for work now..."

Fortunately, my son's senior co-worker convinced him to call the cops. They were not pleased the drive had driven off.

My son was also on the way to work, so that insurance will probably come into play too.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

From what I've read, bike insurance can be a part of an auto policy--nice that that has worked out for you.

Bike insurance is now required in almost all prefectures. Family versions are available (see rakuten for options/choices/rankings), usually for only a little more than insuring just one person.

One of the options for policies sold for cycling is whether you get 'representation'. Costs a little more, but worth having a person/team/company that will help, instead of just paying a claim when needed.

Also, you may want to skip posting too many details until everything is settled.
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

A friend out cycling in Chiba was hit by a car turning without looking. The driver waited until the ambulance came and fully cooperated. My friend was fine, just a bit bruised. But the bike was a write off. The police told my friend that if he had any problems at all getting the money from the driver, then they would threaten to do the driver for dangerous driving to help speed things up. The police seem to be very much on the side of the cyclists in these situations. Fortunately, the driver’s insurance paid up quickly and no further action was needed.

If you are having problems getting the money, then could be worth talking to the police again to see how they can help. All the best.