The joy of Money and Quality of Life

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
Ori
Veteran

Re: The joy of Money and Quality of Life

Post by Ori »

I wouldn't say it saves any money, but quality of our life has improved significantly after hiring a house help. Cleaning a kitchen and a bathroom, and cooking for a toddler a couple times a month (we freeze the food) costs less than 20k, but it is worth every yen :)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Ori wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:15 am I wouldn't say it saves any money, but quality of our life has improved significantly after hiring a house help. Cleaning a kitchen and a bathroom, and cooking for a toddler a couple times a month (we freeze the food) costs less than 20k, but it is worth every yen :)
We used to have someone come in once a week and clean for a few hours. She was great, but retired a couple of years ago and we haven't really looked for a replacement yet. Might have to get on that!

Totally agree, worth every penny.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:45 am
Ori wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:15 am I wouldn't say it saves any money, but quality of our life has improved significantly after hiring a house help. Cleaning a kitchen and a bathroom, and cooking for a toddler a couple times a month (we freeze the food) costs less than 20k, but it is worth every yen :)
We used to have someone come in once a week and clean for a few hours. She was great, but retired a couple of years ago and we haven't really looked for a replacement yet. Might have to get on that!

Totally agree, worth every penny.
How does one go about sourcing this sort of work? Is it informal, or through one of those "silver-service" offices?

The cooking is the biggest hurdle for us. Thankful eating out is extremely affordable in this counry.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Haystack wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:40 am How does one go about sourcing this sort of work? Is it informal, or through one of those "silver-service" offices?
We went through the silver center.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Ori
Veteran

Post by Ori »

We also used silver center.
Unfortunately, it seems that cooking is high demand low offer service, and in the new town where we moved recently, they couldn't recommend anyone. At the previous place it took them few months to find someone as well.
I'm going to try finding someone via taskaji or kurashi market, but it's going to be twice as expensive as silver center :(
The other route I know about is to find someone (usually from south east asia) via Facebook parenting group for expats, but I don't think I will resort to that.
jcherni
Regular

Post by jcherni »

So far, I believe the biggest money expenditure was my 55" TV. As someone who plays a lot of text-heavy games, the huge TV is just amazing.
I also bought a very good sound bar (which was more expensive than the TV, actually), for my gaming sessions.

But that's about it.

I the past I used to spend a lot of money in games, collectors editions and so on, but I don't have that much time to play not space to keep these, so I just buy games online now (and as someone who only plays on weekends and likes very long games, just a couple of games per year already suffice).

Other than that I don't think I have any other non-essential expenditure (Gym + supplements could count here, because these are incredible expensive in Japan, but I consider it essential).

But I have been thinking for a while to get a car license this year (it is unnecessary if you live in Tokyo, but I want one), and then a bike license, which I have been wanting for many years now. And then buy a Harley-Davidson (if I get my promotion this year :) )
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

It's positive to hear how everyone is enjoying life, and enjoying saving. It's not one or the other.
WOW.. sounds also like a marriage saver too.Investing in the family has to have the best return....EVER.
jcherni wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:47 am So far, I believe the biggest money expenditure was my 55" TV. As someone who plays a lot of text-heavy games, the huge TV is just amazing.
I also bought a very good sound bar (which was more expensive than the TV, actually), for my gaming sessions.

But I have been thinking for a while to get a car license this year (it is unnecessary if you live in Tokyo, but I want one), and then a bike license, which I have been wanting for many years now. And then buy a Harley-Davidson (if I get my promotion this year :) )
I was a heavy gamer and it saved me tons of cash. BF3,BF4.
Sounds like someone is planning on enjoying their money and life.

I wanted to start this thread because I think it can remind us money is for living, not just for the banks, so us we can have the best of both worlds, and remind ourselves what we are saving for.
I hope it can reduce some peoples anxiety over money too, which many do worry about, and rather than nudging them to save, it incapacitates them from taking positive action. It is ok to enjoy our money, life, and not always look to the horizon. Sometimes we need to focus on the hear and now.
So I decided to buy the flying scotsman. Saved a lot on Ebay, as Japans prices are eye popping. Hopefully the kids will appreciate it, and we can have some fun.
I would get someone to come into the house to help clean but,,, my house looks like a bomb has exploded. Two monster boys....and a messy dad.LOL

If the admin wishes to remove the pic..please feel free.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 13.21.15.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 13.21.15.png (92.43 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Haystack wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:55 pm
captainspoke wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:58 am
TJKansai wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:30 am...
Brewing. Actually saves a fair bit of money, and every few months we have local brewers' events where we swap beers and bbq/picnic.
Lager or ale?

From what I understand, ales are top fermenting, and at warmer temps; lagers are bottom, and much cooler.
Homebrewing is illegal in Japan without a license, isn`t it?
Not if you keep it under 1% ;)
I know a guy who had visits from the cops. A neighbor complained that he was cooking on the balcony of his building, and when they found out he was brewing, they told him not to brew outside as it was a firecode violation.
Last edited by TJKansai on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

captainspoke wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:58 am
TJKansai wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:30 am...
Brewing. Actually saves a fair bit of money, and every few months we have local brewers' events where we swap beers and bbq/picnic.
Lager or ale?

From what I understand, ales are top fermenting, and at warmer temps; lagers are bottom, and much cooler.
I follow the seasons and ambient temperature of the room mostly, but I can do any style if I put it inside my temperature-controlled kegerator.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Haystack wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:55 pm Homebrewing is illegal in Japan without a license, isn`t it?
There are hundreds, if not thousands of Japanese brewing. Most keep it low profile, none have ever been busted as far as I know. And I would have probably heard, since I know the leaders of the Japanese and foreign clubs.

There was a guy busted for making sake, but he wanted to get arrested in order to challenge the law prohibiting it. He lost in court, unfortunately.