Rakuten Card Investment -> Huge Point Reduction

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Haystack
Veteran

Rakuten Card Investment -> Huge Point Reduction

Post by Haystack »

It seems the party is over for those of us that invest in low-fee funds. 1%->.2% Brutal.

Shall we all open SBI accounts now? Time to apply for that Monex card too....
Screenshot 2022-02-01 142659.png
https://shintaro-money.com/rakutensec-credit-cash/
zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: Rakuten Card Investment -> Huge Point Reduction

Post by zeroshiki »

I don't know how that machine translator saw 改悪 as "improvement" but its completely negative. Basically if you're using the CC to buy eMaxis Slim All Country (0.12%) or S&P500 (0.09%) then the points go from 1% to 0.2%. This is terrible.

The change happens in September. This is actually a good excuse to move to SBI or Monex.

Rakuten however is starting a new program to encourage people to invest using "Rakuten Cash" which gets you back to 1%. Thats a lot of hoops to jump through to get back to the original 1% though.
vapid
Regular

Post by vapid »

zeroshiki wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:17 am Rakuten however is starting a new program to encourage people to invest using "Rakuten Cash" which gets you back to 1%. Thats a lot of hoops to jump through to get back to the original 1% though.
What is the new Rakuten Cash scheme for investment?
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

zeroshiki wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:17 am I don't know how that machine translator saw 改悪 as "improvement" but its completely negative. Basically if you're using the CC to buy eMaxis Slim All Country (0.12%) or S&P500 (0.09%) then the points go from 1% to 0.2%. This is terrible.
Google seems confused by the presence 改悪 and 良いでしょう and misreads the sentence.

Deepl translation -> "I'd say it's effectively been revamped from 1.0% to 0.2%."

Regardless, I think the table makes it clear.

Has anyone successfully applied for the Monex card?
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Haystack wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:48 am

Has anyone successfully applied for the Monex card?
Yes. I havent used it yet. Their points program for buying funds with c/c will start in February.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

zeroshiki wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:17 am I don't know how that machine translator saw 改悪 as "improvement" but its completely negative. Basically if you're using the CC to buy eMaxis Slim All Country (0.12%) or S&P500 (0.09%) then the points go from 1% to 0.2%. This is terrible.
500 points per month goes to 100 per month.
Not enough for me to change broker but annoying, definitely.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

Just as I sold my soul to Rakuten.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

vapid wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:33 am
zeroshiki wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:17 am Rakuten however is starting a new program to encourage people to invest using "Rakuten Cash" which gets you back to 1%. Thats a lot of hoops to jump through to get back to the original 1% though.
What is the new Rakuten Cash scheme for investment?
Basically you can invest 50k in Rakuten Cash per month completely separate from the CC Tsumitate so they've effectively made it 100k a month for the CC except that you have to invest using Rakuten's funny money that's not points. Buying Rakuten Cash using your CC gets you 0.5% points (and then Securities gives a temporary boost of 0.5% during the initial period making it total 1% points)
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

beanhead wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:42 am
Yes. I havent used it yet. Their points program for buying funds with c/c will start in February.
Thank you, I sent you a PM in regards to this.
Viralriver wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:54 am Just as I sold my soul to Rakuten.
This is one of the reasons I was arguing against going "all-in" with the premium card. Rakuten likes to to rug pull. They already did it this year with the point system on long-term trust holdings.
TBS

Post by TBS »

zeroshiki wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:17 am Basically you can invest 50k in Rakuten Cash per month completely separate from the CC Tsumitate so they've effectively made it 100k a month for the CC except that you have to invest using Rakuten's funny money that's not tpoints. Buying Rakuten Cash using your CC gets you 0.5% points (and then Securities gives a temporary boost of 0.5% during the initial period making it total 1% points)
It is a shame that Rakuten are making this 1% -> 0.2% cut.

But there's one more positive side to having another 50k/month (up to 100k/month total) you can funnel through the CC. It is a point that is not mentioned much, but there is an opportunity benefit to investing via credit cards. In Rakuten's case you receive the investment at the start of the month (usually 2nd or 3rd), but only have to pay for it via the CC bill at the end of the month (27th). So it helps cash flow, and means effectively you can gain an extra month of investing. For an investment product with say 6% average yearly growth, this is a ~0.5% benefit.

So even after the new Rakuten Cash promotion ends and that part drops to 0.5%, anyone who would be investing 100k/month+ anyway and manages their cash flow diligently could be slightly better off from this change* in the long run. Or at least until Rakuten next change the rules.

* before was 1% points + 0.5% opportunity benefit for 50k/month, which is 750 yen/month
after is 0.2% from CC 50k/month, 0.5% from Rakuten Cash 50k/month, + 0.5% opportunity benefit on 100k/month, total 850 yen/month