Need Guidance

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
OkiBum
Veteran

Need Guidance

Post by OkiBum »

Hi All,

This is my first post here in RJ!

So I made an account on Rakuten and just got an approval on my NISA account yesterday. My Japanese is not very good so I depend a lot on chrome translate. I had a few questions on how to start.

1) Do I need to deposit 100,000 before the end of this month in order to be able to utilize my annual limit of 1.2 million?
2) Since I just got my account made, is my annual allowance of 1.2 million cut down on pro-rata basis? If yes, does it reset in December or March?
3) Do I transfer the money to my Rakuten Bank account or is there a different way of getting the fund into NISA?
4) How do I make the purchase once I have funds in my NISA account? If someone with Japanese knowledge can guide me on which buttons to click and where to check for transaction fees etc. it would be super helpful. Maybe a video or a Skype session or something.
5) If I purchase stocks for 100,000 this month and lets say they go up to 200,000 in 6 months and i want to sell them. I can still invest 1.1 million till my annual limit is met correct? And can i withdraw the 200,000 without any charges?
6) Feel free to add any other suggestions/comments/answers as I am trying to absorb as much as I can while taking the first step into investing through NISA.

Thanks in advance everyone for taking out the time to read this. See you around in the forums!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Need Guidance

Post by RetireJapan »

Hi OB

Some quick answers to start this thread off:

1) and 2) No, the NISA limit is annual. You can invest up to your allowance anytime from early January to late December.
3) The money needs to be in your Rakuten Securities account. You can send it from most banks. If you have Rakuten Bank they have their 'money bridge' system.
4) I've walked a few people through using their broker account in a coaching session: http://www.retirejapan.info/coaching.html and we're planning to make a Guide to Rakuten (at some point -my deadlines are a bit like Elon Musk's ones unfortunately)
5) Yes.

Anyone else?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Dan
Regular

Post by Dan »

5) Any investment gains you make from investing in stocks, funds or ETFs through NISA will be tax free. There may be some brokerage charges when you want to "withdraw" your investment.
6) How much do you plan to invest this year? In what do you want to invest, stocks, funds or ETFs?
OkiBum
Veteran

Post by OkiBum »

Hi Dan!

I plan to utilize the entire 1.2 million amount this year.

From what I have read in the forum people recommend investing local since the fees are lower.

I am not really a fan of ETF's and want to invest in stocks. Initially I wanted buy US stocks such as GE and Apple but but since going local is the better option I was looking at buying Softbank, Family Mart etc.

Any suggestions, recommendations, things to look out for?

I am still trying to figure out how to navigate my Rakuten account so I do not make stupid mistakes while buying.
OkiBum
Veteran

Post by OkiBum »

RetireJapan wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:21 am Hi OB

Some quick answers to start this thread off:

1) and 2) No, the NISA limit is annual. You can invest up to your allowance anytime from early January to late December.
3) The money needs to be in your Rakuten Securities account. You can send it from most banks. If you have Rakuten Bank they have their 'money bridge' system.
4) I've walked a few people through using their broker account in a coaching session: http://www.retirejapan.info/coaching.html and we're planning to make a Guide to Rakuten (at some point -my deadlines are a bit like Elon Musk's ones unfortunately)
5) Yes.

Anyone else?
Thanks RJ
Dan
Regular

Post by Dan »

If you plan to utilize the entire amount this year, you will still be able to invest more than 1.2 million yen outside of NISA through your securities account regularly, or hold off until January or later to utilize next year's NISA.
OkiBum
Veteran

Post by OkiBum »

Dan wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:57 am If you plan to utilize the entire amount this year, you will still be able to invest more than 1.2 million yen outside of NISA through your securities account regularly, or hold off until January or later to utilize next year's NISA.
any suggestions about the local and US stocks? things to look out for, common mistakes which can be avoided etc.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

OkiBum wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:59 am any suggestions about the local and US stocks? things to look out for, common mistakes which can be avoided etc.
If you are asking that question I might suggest avoiding individual stocks and looking at mutual funds instead....

Have you read Millionaire Teacher or the JL Collins stock series of blog posts?

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
OkiBum
Veteran

Post by OkiBum »

RetireJapan wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:05 pm
OkiBum wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:59 am any suggestions about the local and US stocks? things to look out for, common mistakes which can be avoided etc.
If you are asking that question I might suggest avoiding individual stocks and looking at mutual funds instead....

Have you read Millionaire Teacher or the JL Collins stock series of blog posts?
Do you mind linking it to me?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

OkiBum wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:29 pm Do you mind linking it to me?
They are both linked from here: http://www.retirejapan.info/further-reading.html

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)