Simple Q&A - Stock market investing

zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: Simple Q&A - Stock market investing

Post by zeroshiki »

I don't have a pending order on SBI so I can't answer directly but have you tried clicking on 取引 at the top, choosing 投資信託 on the sub nav, then on the tab choosing 注文照会 ? Your order is probably not in torihiki rireki because its not yet completed.

I have to say that after using Monex and SBI, I have gained an appreciation for Rakuten. We clown on Rakuten's confusing site layout alot but compared to the other 2, its basically Google.
fools_gold
Veteran

Post by fools_gold »

Moneymatters wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:47 am Just going to gentle steer this thread firmly back on the "Simple" side of the tracks. :lol:

Using SBI. Adding to a regular NISA account. Made a purchase about one week ago.
I can see my available 2022 NISA balance has reduced by the amount invested. So all good there.

For the absolutely life of I can not find any record of the purchase on the site.

I'm sure that's just me being challenged but it's just not there in the 取引履歴
Imagine it's becuase it's hasn't Toried or Hikied yet.
I'd just like to know if you can see the order request anywhere on their epilepsy inducing site before it's watashimased to me.
It's bad enough I get flashbacks to my Kazaa days each time I log in.

TIA.
Have you tried 「注文履歴」instead? It's under the 「取引」 drop down menu.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

fools_gold wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:14 am
Moneymatters wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:47 am Just going to gentle steer this thread firmly back on the "Simple" side of the tracks. :lol:

Using SBI. Adding to a regular NISA account. Made a purchase about one week ago.
I can see my available 2022 NISA balance has reduced by the amount invested. So all good there.

For the absolutely life of I can not find any record of the purchase on the site.

I'm sure that's just me being challenged but it's just not there in the 取引履歴
Imagine it's becuase it's hasn't Toried or Hikied yet.
I'd just like to know if you can see the order request anywhere on their epilepsy inducing site before it's watashimased to me.
It's bad enough I get flashbacks to my Kazaa days each time I log in.

TIA.
Have you tried 「注文履歴」instead? It's under the 「取引」 drop down menu.
Yes. It's not there either.

EDIT:
Found it. (I should have thought SBI might have some multi-step process requiring it's own help article.)
https://faq.sbisec.co.jp/answer/5ee9717 ... 0017a76e73

Click 取引 
pick Mutual Fund 投資信託
pick 注文照会 (取消)
then should be on one of the three tabs there.

this for things that are mid-flight..
"That guy"
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Moneymatters wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:31 am Click 取引 
pick Mutual Fund 投資信託
pick 注文照会 (取消)

I figured that out the hard way too a few years ago, but never took the time to write it down anywhere. It never gets intuitive though and I still sometimes find myself hunting for it.

There is an SBI page on the wiki... so far it's got my half-finished instructions for calculating how much capital gains tax you paid on sales. I since found a simpler way though, and then forgot it again.
fools_gold
Veteran

Post by fools_gold »

Apologies for derailing the thread again! I'll keep it brief.
Haystack wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:49 am It comes down to a belief in the belief or disbelief that yield will overcome currency risk for foreign bonds.
I'm pretty sure that with unhedged bonds, the returns come mostly from currency movements. So, really it comes down to a belief in the yen continuing to be weak long term. I don't know if that will be the case or not, so I'd rather not make a bet on it.
An investors appetite for risk and the role of the bonds in a portfolio are key.
For me it's about taking the right kinds of risk and being adequately compensated. With stocks, I can be pretty confident that I'll be ahead in 10 or 20 years time. With unhedged currency exposure, I may be ahead, or I might not. There's no way of really telling.

As for the role of bonds in a in a portfolio...For me bonds should be stable and uncorrelated to stocks. Unhedged bonds don't fulfill that role, so what's the point of them?
In regards to your link, there are so many assumptions about returns and assumed risk by the author . The horizon was only measured at 5 years as well.

That article was from 2018. So over the last 5 years.

7-10 Year Treasury ETF Yen Basic (Up 5.3%)
Japan Bond ETF (Down 2%)

https://g.co/finance/1656:TYO?window=5Y ... TYO%3A2510

Assuming a monthly tsumitate, an etf like IEF certainly seemed like the better call!
I think you're missing the point. It's not about the returns, but whether the returns are worth the risk.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

adamu wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:58 am
Moneymatters wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:31 am Click 取引 
pick Mutual Fund 投資信託
pick 注文照会 (取消)

I figured that out the hard way too a few years ago, but never took the time to write it down anywhere. It never gets intuitive though and I still sometimes find myself hunting for it.

There is an SBI page on the wiki... so far it's got my half-finished instructions for calculating how much capital gains tax you paid on sales. I since found a simpler way though, and then forgot it again.
I'm thinking there could be a simple agnostic article to show the Mutual Fund purchase flow with some pointers how to find your in-progress purchases.

but I'm too flakey on this topic to attempt such an Article myself.
Below is what I "think" it might be..
E.g.
Order before 3pm on a trading day and the trade is executed (at the end of?) the next trading day.
Order after 3pm on a trading day (or anytime on a non-trading day) and the trade is executed (at the end of?) the next next trading day.
This execution date is the 約定日.

Handover? 受け渡し is typically another 4 trading days after the Execution date. After this date you'll see the investment in your account.

Then add some advise for the main brokers how to find the purchase mid-flight.
Before the Exection Date.
Between Execution and Handover dates.

I'm personally sure I've seen much later gaps than the above. but then we have a lot of national holidays here..
"That guy"
John_conner
Regular

Post by John_conner »

Hi during these times how does investing change? Do you do anything different?
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

John_conner wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:06 pm Hi during these times how does investing change? Do you do anything different?
No, monthly iDeco+Nisa+Tsumitate. As a passive investor I do not change my strategy.
JonG
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by JonG »

I see eMAXIS Slim recommended a lot, but it is not available through Nomura. Anyone have a suggestion for something similar?
Canadian. Married. Two kids (Canadian-Japanese).
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

JonG wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:50 am I see eMAXIS Slim recommended a lot, but it is not available through Nomura. Anyone have a suggestion for something similar?

They have this 'no load' fund in their Tsumitate NISA:

野村つみたて外国株投信

Fee seems to be 0.2%, rather than 0.11% for the eMaxis Slim All Country fund.

年0.209%(税抜年0.19%)の率を乗じて得た額
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.