What kind of investment options are there for USD?

Reiana
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

What kind of investment options are there for USD?

Post by Reiana »

Hello guys, I've got some USD sitting for quite some time in my USD account in Japan.
It’s just something that I moved over from my account back home.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what is a good move for USD currency? What kind of investment choices are there?
Although it’s just spare funds, for simplicity’s sake it’d be really great if it’s an investment within Japan (not internationally), and not anything that locks the funds away for 10-20 years. Whatever it is though, I think it should be better than letting it sit in a bank account for years.
Haystack
Veteran

Re: What kind of investment options are there for USD?

Post by Haystack »

Are you American? The recommendations will change depending on your answer due to taxation rules.
Reiana
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by Reiana »

Haystack wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:40 am Are you American? The recommendations will change depending on your answer due to taxation rules.
Thanks for your reply. I'm non-US.
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

Reiana wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:41 am
Haystack wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:40 am Are you American? The recommendations will change depending on your answer due to taxation rules.
Thanks for your reply. I'm non-US.
With Rakuten, SBI and Monex you can trade in USD. Then you can trade a wide range of USD ETFs or Stocks. Or even buy American bonds in USD.

Here is Rakuten Securities guide to depositing in USD https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/servi ... x_pay.html

If you get a Monex account your can trade USD etfs and equities using Tradestation, which has an English interface available.

*Note they do not have all stocks on the NYSE/Nasdaq. Check through their offerings.
Ori
Veteran

Post by Ori »

I had the same problem and I ended up buying AGG (US bonds) and IAU (gold). But I wanted those assets in my portfolio and buying them via Japanese funds was more expensive (unlike other types of assets). AGG pays out yields, and those will be taxed unless in NISA wrapper.
REET (global REIT) was also only a little more expensive than Nissei Global at the time, not sure about now.