Help! Hit a roadblock transferring money UK -> Japan

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Re: Help! Hit a roadblock transferring money UK -> Japan

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

SZQ wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:09 pm A quick update.

Even though I closed my bank accounts with Halifax, the online login still worked so I tried to open a new current account online. The process asked about my residency, tax residency etc., and I didn't want to make trouble for myself so I updated those details truthfully. Current account was rejected but they gave me a Basic Account instead. Not entirely sure what the difference is but there are no fees for opening it and it allows international transfers so that's one problem solved.

The funds that Halifax Share Dealing transferred to Wise and then recalled was sent back yesterday. However, my Halifax Share Dealing account has disappeared, seemingly closed as requested during the original transfer, so I'm not entirely sure where the money is. I tried to call them but was on hold for 30 minutes so I gave up :x

Will try again tomorrow. At least I have a bank account in the UK now. :|
Buying shares and unit trusts has become extremely difficult without proof of a British address. However, it is still possible to operate a bank account and debit card if you have a Japanese address. Personally, I would try and keep a British bank account open, you never know when you might need it.
SZQ
Regular

Re: Help! Hit a roadblock transferring money UK -> Japan

Post by SZQ »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:11 am Buying shares and unit trusts has become extremely difficult without proof of a British address. However, it is still possible to operate a bank account and debit card if you have a Japanese address. Personally, I would try and keep a British bank account open, you never know when you might need it.
Yep, lesson learnt, I plan to keep this one open. :) Thanks

Phoned Halifax Share Dealing again today. They confirmed that they closed the account before doing the recall :roll: , so they will reopen it temporarily so that I can update my linked bank account and transfer the money.

Annoying that everytime I call I get someone different and they don't seem to keep notes so I need to explain the whole chain of events everytime.

Slowly getting this sorted.