Switching from tsumitate NISA and if it's worth it

Dee.Geo
Regular

Re: Switching from tsumitate NISA and if it's worth it

Post by Dee.Geo »

adamu wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:15 pm
Viralriver wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:29 am was hoping for some advice here and your thoughts
If you have the money and are willing to mess about / optimise, my understanding is that the best strategy for you is:

But the simplest long-term set-it-and-forget strategy is Tsumitate NISA every year + invest extra in taxable account.
That TNISA strategy is recommended only if I can commit the 20 years right? From the post above I understand that if I sell before 20 I'll end up paying the tax.
Correct me if I'm getting too bogged down with the tax exemption element. Comparing the 1.2m investment staying tax free for 5 years and a 400k for 20 years, may be the tax I pay in case I sell it (for a profit) early is a reasonable trade-off (?) Am I thinking right?

Newbie doubts of course :)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Switching from tsumitate NISA and if it's worth it

Post by RetireJapan »

Dee.Geo wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:38 am That TNISA strategy is recommended only if I can commit the 20 years right? From the post above I understand that if I sell before 20 I'll end up paying the tax.
Correct me if I'm getting too bogged down with the tax exemption element. Comparing the 1.2m investment staying tax free for 5 years and a 400k for 20 years, may be the tax I pay in case I sell it (for a profit) early is a reasonable trade-off (?) Am I thinking right?
Tsumitate NISA years are also treated as stand-alone, so each one is tax-free for twenty years and is not affected by what you do in subsequent years.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)