question about inheritance tax

Roger101
Regular

question about inheritance tax

Post by Roger101 »

just read through and article on Japanese inheritance taxes and trying to see how it fits in my situation

I am a kiwi (with perm residence visa married to Japanese and plan to retire here)
We have our own place (mansion)
I was surprised to hear that I might? have to pay tax (inheritance) on our place if my wife dies before me (??)
The house/mansion is in both our names and we are both living in it

Can someone tell me what would happen if my wife died before me, would I have to pay inheritance tax on her half (that I would receive) and for that matter, her money etc as well?

Thanks very much for any advice
:roll:
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: question about inheritance tax

Post by RetireJapan »

Ownership of the manshon will depend on who paid for it/who's name is on the property deed.

Spouses have a 160m tax-free allowance.

I think there may also be something about houses spouses are living in.

Best to consult the tax office or a lawyer in the case of a big inheritance.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Roger101
Regular

Post by Roger101 »

well, we both paid for it

and its not an expensive place, on the cheaper side but it was brand new

thanks for the heads up re; tax-free allowance
Roger101
Regular

Post by Roger101 »

in fact if its true about Spouses have a 160m tax-free allowance... then that would cover our place and more

Assuming my wife died first, I wonder how difficult it would be, how long it would take to sort out all this financial stuff,

...... I mean I am sure its all case by case, but our situation is pretty cut and dry, couldn't really imagine a more simple straight forward situation (??)

very little (if any) compilations

I have heard that there is a process (legal) before I could get my wife assets? I wonder how difficult or complex this would be? In New Zealand from what I understand its very easy and quick (??)

......... I have no idea

(maybe the above is very vague? just trying to prepare myself in case the worst happens)
Last edited by Roger101 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

In Japan in my experience it is quite common for family to empty all bank accounts as soon as possible after someone dies to avoid them being frozen. Not sure how legal this is, but I've seen it firsthand several times.

Anyone know how the process works here? You declare the death at city hall, declare the taxes to the tax office. How does the transfer of assets work after that?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Roger101
Regular

Post by Roger101 »

In Japan in my experience it is quite common for family to empty all bank accounts as soon as possible after someone dies to avoid them being frozen. Not sure how legal this is, but I've seen it firsthand several times.
Yes, my wife said this is true