J-NISA to NISA at age 18

Moneymatters
Veteran

J-NISA to NISA at age 18

Post by Moneymatters »

Our youngest just turned 18 last week. :o
And he's already voted, I assume based on what some influencer on TikTok said. :roll:

Within 1 day of turning 18 he had registered mail from SBI.
(SBI is where their J-NISA is held.)
The letter contains the login-id (same ID as it's been for the J-NISA)
along with initial Passwords for both account login and 取引.

Rather obviously, the password I'd been using to access their account has now ceased to work.

He just informed me "Now I'm 18 I can get a credit card." (He's not even had a part time job yet.) and "I'm gonna buy a motorbike"..
So judge me all you like but I'm retaining control of this account a little longer. If we don't use it toward education it's still his money and as soon as he displays required maturity I'll happily relinquish control. (Early indications are this could be around his 50th birthday.)

I assume from next Jan he'll be able to choose normal or tsumitate NISA for 2023. (We started J-NISA less than 5 years ago so no need to consume NISA years with roll-overs just yet.)

Nothing much else to report.
But if your child suddenly ups their bling game shortly their 18th birthday. There might have been a letter you missed.
"That guy"
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: J-NISA to NISA at age 18

Post by RetireJapan »

Yikes! I'm very interested in the process of rolling over into ordinary/t-NISA. Please continue your reports :)

As a former motorbike rider, I *really* recommend getting a car driving license first, before getting on a motorbike. Understanding what drivers can see and how they are likely to move makes a huge difference.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Moneymatters wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:41 pm Our youngest just turned 18 last week. :o
And he's already voted, I assume based on what some influencer on TikTok said. :roll:

Within 1 day of turning 18 he had registered mail from SBI.
(SBI is where their J-NISA is held.)
The letter contains the login-id (same ID as it's been for the J-NISA)
along with initial Passwords for both account login and 取引.

Rather obviously, the password I'd been using to access their account has now ceased to work.

He just informed me "Now I'm 18 I can get a credit card." (He's not even had a part time job yet.) and "I'm gonna buy a motorbike"..
So judge me all you like but I'm retaining control of this account a little longer. If we don't use it toward education it's still his money and as soon as he displays required maturity I'll happily relinquish control. (Early indications are this could be around his 50th birthday.)

I assume from next Jan he'll be able to choose normal or tsumitate NISA for 2023. (We started J-NISA less than 5 years ago so no need to consume NISA years with roll-overs just yet.)

Nothing much else to report.
But if your child suddenly ups their bling game shortly their 18th birthday. There might have been a letter you missed.
Ah It seems we are in a rather similar boat.He just voted and we got similar letters. We had to choose passwords, and what we want to do with his account. It wasn't a NISA because we started in way before NISA but Yes, full responsibility seems to kick in around 50, and hopefully they'll have enough to retire by then, hopefully he'll Look up too the sky and say Thanks dad.. At the very earliest the brain should engage full warp factor around marriage or child birth. I just got him to read the richest man in Babylon as part of his English lessons. He won't listen to me, but maybe some words will sink into his noggin.
I have to agree, their eyes will engage in the money, before their frontal brain kicks in. Reminds of Kevin becoming a teenager.(great sketch if you watch it) It is every teenage boy who ever existed. OH SOO UNFAIR.
Caught my kid riding on the back of a bike, with no helmet. Well lets just say, I went ballistic.( in an old kind of way), and he lost his phone for a week.
OH SOO unfair. But I'd rather take that heat than the police coming to door saying there was an accident. Now they're 18 their names can be released to the press and they can be held financially responsible. I think this is why I don't like the reduction of the age to 18 now.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Akatani
Regular

Post by Akatani »

Thanks for the chuckle! My eldest is 14, so I still have 4 years to go :)
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Akatani wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:47 am Thanks for the chuckle! My eldest is 14, so I still have 4 years to go :)
Clearly a man who is deluded. Apparently, This doesn’t end until they turn 20, or in the case of Kevin the teenager until a girl takes away his innocence.
Oh yes…..
https://youtu.be/W8RkqbqmttA

One good thing it appears he still has this allocation for the JNISA. So I would like to take advantage of that.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.