CPA Recommendations for US Taxes

simbiant
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

CPA Recommendations for US Taxes

Post by simbiant »

Hi everyone,

First time posting but I'm excited to see that there is so much invaluable information around the forum.

I searched around but could not find any posts with people offering specific CPA recommendations. Would anyone be able to recommend a CPA that works with US taxes?

My taxes are starting to get a bit more complex and I want to confirm some things and ensure everything is in order. I haven't had much luck finding one willing to work with expats and international tax situations so I thought I would try and ask here.

On a side note, due to some potential self-employment possibilities I may also need to speak to a CPA for Japanese taxes. Can anyone recommend someone who can help out there as well?

Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you!
emikami
Regular

Re: CPA Recommendations for US Taxes

Post by emikami »

simbiant wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:40 pm ...
I searched around but could not find any posts with people offering specific CPA recommendations. Would anyone be able to recommend a CPA that works with US taxes?

I haven't had much luck finding one willing to work with expats and international tax situations so I thought I would try and ask here.

On a side note, due to some potential self-employment possibilities I may also need to speak to a CPA for Japanese taxes. Can anyone recommend someone who can help out there as well?
Those are great issues. Probably the best odds is to find a Japanese CPA whom also has US CPA credential and has some experience with U.S. Taxpayer residing in Japan and has knowledge of the US Japan Tax Treaty. It's likely to cost a lot but what I observe is that if you find a Japanese CPA without any background in U.S. Taxation, they'll only think about their side of the fence while the U.S. CPA will do the same. Both will ignore the tax treaty.
simbiant
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Re: CPA Recommendations for US Taxes

Post by simbiant »

Thank you for the reply! I thought I would get an email when someone replied but apparently not...

I've since found an American CPA who has been great so far. Now I need to find a Japanese one. You bring up a good point but I feel the American CPA is pretty on point with the things that may come up so hopefully that won't be an issue. Perhaps it's something I could consider the next time around.

Thanks again for the input.