Problems accessing drop down menu in iOS?

Biketokyo
Regular

Problems accessing drop down menu in iOS?

Post by Biketokyo »

Hi everyone,

For some months now I’ve found that clicking on he drop down menu on the retirejapan.com landing page doesn’t do anything when using both Chrome and Safari on my iPad. Other links on the page to blog posts work fine.

Have others had this problem? I’m not looking for tech help so much as just checking to see if this is a common issue and let Ben know. If it’s just something with my device then no worries!
captainspoke
Sage

Re: Problems accessing drop down menu in iOS?

Post by captainspoke »

Hmm. Do you mean the three lines upper right?

I'm on a mac laptop now (safari) and clicking on those lines (common these days on websites), does nothing. No response at all.

I guess I hadn't noticed them, or ever tried them before. Maybe as a fairly simple site (RJ), they've never been hooked up in any way?
Biketokyo
Regular

Post by Biketokyo »

Yep, those are the ones. I know the welcome post pinned to the top of the blog has the links to different parts of the site in it, but that top right drop down menu not working might make it difficult for people new to the site to navigate and find things like the NISA guide, the forum and such. I thought it might just be me but apparently not.
donut

Post by donut »

It is not only your device. I have the same problem on my iPhone. I cannot click the menu button.
To go to the forums, I then click Ben's weekly post, because he always posts a link to the forum in it. But for new members, it will be confusing.
button.png
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Yep, sadly the website is losing functionality. Not sure why. We are going to have to do a big redesign/overhaul soon.

Anyone know a good Wordpress website designer? :?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Maybe you can take up web design in your new-found retirement :lol:
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

adamu wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:17 am Maybe you can take up web design in your new-found retirement :lol:
:roll:

Frankly, those bars, as a universal navigation thing on many web pages, are nice to have sometimes, but I usually only notice or go that route when other things have been exhausted.

I didn't notice them on the regular site until Biketokyo asked this question, then I had to go look and check. ("Oh yeah, those bars...")

The site is simple, and laid out in a clear way as it is. I don't think that represents anything that is broken, so nothing needs fixing. And I don't see the behind-the-scenes, so I am not aware of any other way that the site may be "losing functionality".

Maybe I'm just easy to please?
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

adamu wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:17 am Maybe you can take up web design in your new-found retirement :lol:
:roll:

Frankly, those bars, as a universal navigation thing on many web pages, are nice to have sometimes, but I usually only notice or go that route when other things have been exhausted.

I didn't even notice them on the regular site until Biketokyo asked this question, then I had to go look and check. ("Oh yeah, those bars...")

The site is simple, and laid out in a clear way as it is. I don't think that represents anything that is broken, so nothing needs fixing. And I don't see the behind-the-scenes, so I am not aware of any other way that the site may be "losing functionality".

Maybe I'm just easy to please?

edit: fixed the quoting that I somehow botched. Also, there are some 'big' websites that don't have the bars as a nav aid--e.g., apple. So maybe not necessary in all cases.