Does anyone use the Didi Taxi app?

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
kawasemi
Regular

Does anyone use the Didi Taxi app?

Post by kawasemi »

Given that Uber and Lyft aren't operating here, I'm curious to hear if any of you are using the Didi taxi app. It's a Chinese company backed by softbank, and their app seems quite good, and integrates with Paypay for payments.

It's not available in my area (https://didimobility.co.jp/service/user/), but I do plan to check it out on an upcoming Kyoto trip with my parents. (three in a car, taxis make sense)

I realize there's probably a big debate to be had around which app to choose, i.e. support the local Japanese taxi companies, which if I recall correctly many were quite protectionist vs Uber coming in; or a chinese company which might be less trustworthy with user data, but the app looks far better.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Does anyone use the Didi Taxi app?

Post by RetireJapan »

Uber works here, but they connect to taxi companies. I believe Didi does as well. Japan does not allow normal rideshare, all drivers need to be licensed so the ridesharing companies basically feed customers to local taxi firms.

If you look at taxis here they often have Uber or Didi stickers on them.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Uber is a taxi company?
Don't they just deliver food on bicycles...?

;)
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

There's also GO. The difference is the taxi companies they partner with.

In Tokyo (and presumably Osaka) there's really no difference with them but I notice in the more suburban areas, it gets harder to call taxis so I have to cycle apps.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

zeroshiki wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:47 am There's also GO. The difference is the taxi companies they partner with.

In Tokyo (and presumably Osaka) there's really no difference with them but I notice in the more suburban areas, it gets harder to call taxis so I have to cycle apps.
I like GO, knowledge drivers, decent app. Many of their cars are that Sudo-black cab style type that is quite comfortable for taller folk.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

I have used DiDi in Osaka. Never had any problem with it.
Each time the car that showed up was a normal taxi and the fare was also based on their meter. So, its just a taxi hailing app in Osaka, rather than ridesharing as in most South East Asian countries or in China.