Recommendation for Japan tax accountant or attorney for US-source retirement income

picklerick

Recommendation for Japan tax accountant or attorney for US-source retirement income

Post by picklerick »

I'm completely exhausted from my year long search for a Japanese tax accountant or tax attorney who is knowledgable about Japan income tax for US retirement income sources, such as 401k, IRA, social security, and other investments. I've been through big name international firms and small firms with very poor results all around. Big waste of time and money.

If you have direct experience using a Japanese tax accountant or attorney who is very knowledgeable and experienced in this area, I beg you to please PM me with the contact info.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Re: Recommendation for Japan tax accountant or attorney for US-source retirement income

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

picklerick wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:46 pm I'm completely exhausted from my year long search for a Japanese tax accountant or tax attorney who is knowledgable about Japan income tax for US retirement income sources, such as 401k, IRA, social security, and other investments. I've been through big name international firms and small firms with very poor results all around. Big waste of time and money.

If you have direct experience using a Japanese tax accountant or attorney who is very knowledgeable and experienced in this area, I beg you to please PM me with the contact info.
Have you tried PWC? If a firm like that cannot help you, you'll probably need to be more specific about why.
picklerick

Re: Recommendation for Japan tax accountant or attorney for US-source retirement income

Post by picklerick »

[/quote]
Have you tried PWC? If a firm like that cannot help you, you'll probably need to be more specific about why.
[/quote]

Yes, I have. From the very beginning, they said that they don't get into detailed planning scenarios for individual clients. I used their services anyway to help fill in some general knowledge gaps and get some suggestions.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

It seems ridiculous to me that PWC cannot 'help' you ;-)
picklerick wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:46 pm I'm completely exhausted from my year long search for a Japanese tax accountant or tax attorney who is knowledgable about Japan income tax for US retirement income sources, such as 401k, IRA, social security, and other investments. I've been through big name international firms and small firms with very poor results all around. Big waste of time and money.

The Japanese Tax Code is not that complicated.

Assuming you are a Permanent Resident for Tax Purposes (you have been in Japan for more than 5 years in the last 10 years):

Japan has First Call on your Global Income. Taking your list in reverse order...

Other Investments: Liable for Capital Gains Tax:
(Sell Price in Yen - Average Purchase Price in Yen) x Units Sold - Fees
Capital Gains Tax 20.315% (15% National, 0.315% Reconstruction and 5% Residents' Taxes)
Kakutei Shinkoku Form B Page 3

IRA: Liable for Capital Gains Tax:
Not Tax Free in Japan.
(Sell Price in Yen - Average Purchase Price in Yen) x Units Sold - Fees
Capital Gains Tax 20.315% (15% National, 0.315% Reconstruction and 5% Residents' Taxes)
Kakutei Shinkoku Form B Page 3

Social Security: Liable for Pension Income Tax at the Marginal Rates
This Income is entitled to the Public Pension Deduction, and your regular Allowances/Deductions for Yourself, Dependents, Medical Expenses over Y1M, Furusato Nozei, etc..
See Page 12
https://www.tax.metro.tokyo.lg.jp/book/ ... k2022e.pdf
The Net Aggregate Taxable Income is then taxable at your Marginal National Tax Rates and 10% Residents' Taxes.

401k:
There are two ways for you to take benefits of your 401k; Lump Sum or buy an Annuity? (Treated differently)
Annuity:
Treated same as Social Security. Included in your Aggregate Taxable Income. After deducting all Allowances/Deductions, taxable at your Marginal National Tax Rates and 10% Residents' Taxes.

Lump Sum:
There is a really beneficial tax method for the the Lump Sum.
For the total number of years of your 401k, you can take a Special Deduction equal to Y400,000 per year for the first 20 years and Y700,000 per year for years greater that 20...
This is the Only Deduction allowed for the Lump Sum.
You deduct the Special Deduction from the Lump Sum, and if this is positive, divide the remainder by 2. This Net Taxable Amount is then taxed at standard Marginal National Tax Rates and 10% Residents' Taxes.
This is assessed completely independently of any Income in that Tax Year, so does not increase your Marginal Aggregate Tax Rate.

Unfortunately the US currently retains the right to also tax its Citizens, so you will have to file your taxes in the US too.

For Low Tax countries, you would pay local low taxes and then pay the difference to the IRS, but with Japan Taxes being on par with US Taxes, there shouldn't be much if anything left over for Uncle Sam...
Last edited by Tkydon on Sun May 07, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
picklerick

Post by picklerick »

Tkydon wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:21 am It seems ridiculous to me that PWC cannot 'help' you ;-)
I was very frustrated when I wrote that post, and it was poorly worded. I did not mean to imply that PWC was a waste of time. Allow me to restate and elaborate...

When it comes to individual income tax (as opposed to business/corporate income tax), most big firms only do work for corporate clients who need income services for their expat employees. So these firms won't even talk to me. I even got turned down by a big firm that did my tax returns for almost 10 years while I was an expat employee in Japan.

PWC was willing to support me and has been helpful to get high level insights and strategies relevant to my situation. But from the beginning they told me that they don't typically provide optimized detailed plans. It's just not a business service they currently provide to individual clients. I think they may have done if I pushed, but I expect it would have been cost prohibitive to pay for them to develop an evaluation method just for me.

My efforts to find small firms or individual tax accountants/lawyers with specific experience in taxation of US retirement income sources have all been dead ends. And I was looking at firms who tout their knowledge of international income tax considerations. The reality is there just isn't many retirees in Japan with primarily US-based retirement income sources. So finding the experience isn't easy.
Tkydon wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:21 am The Japanese Tax Code is not that complicated.

Assuming you are a Permanent Resident for Tax Purposes (you have been in Japan for more than 5 years in the last 10 years):

Japan has First Call on your Global Income. Taking your list in reverse order...
I read through your list. I do appreciate it, but you might be surprised to learn the professional advice I received does not agree with what you wrote for some of the income sources. :o
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

picklerick wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:09 pm I read through your list. I do appreciate it, but you might be surprised to learn the professional advice I received does not agree with what you wrote for some of the income sources. :o
Please elaborate. Would love to know where I may be wrong. ;-)
Also, you could PM me if you don't wish to share in public.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.