Total return vs compare daily, monthly ( clarification)

Bubblegun
Veteran

Total return vs compare daily, monthly ( clarification)

Post by Bubblegun »

So I have been consistently dropping money in this year over several accounts until a month ago.
However if I click on NISA, It seems to show a constant loss, then when I search for total return it shows a positive.
Now personally I dont like these two figures being on two different buttons.

IN pic one which appears first after clicking junior NISA compares 1 day and 1 month and it's showing a loss :oops: bad!
Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 0.07.11.png
In pic two shows TOTAL RETURN and shows a positive figure :D GOOD.
Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 0.06.14.png
SO am I fair to ignore the day and month comparison and look just at the Total return?

I have always ignored daily, weekly,monthly figures because the main point is the total return. It can appear rather worrying, because it looks as though you just loosing all the time. This layout can could make some people worry.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Re: Total return vs compare daily, monthly ( clarification)

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

I suggest you stop checking daily and move to monthly at most , preferably quarterly.

If you continue to invest there will almost assuredly be a time in your life you check your account and it will be down 10-100s of 万.

Focus on the long game, make sure your assets are diversified and global, and reduce your risk is you are truly uncomfortable with fluctuations.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

For the foreseeable future, you may see many days where the daily gain is negative, weeks or months where the gain is negative, and even years where the gain is negative.

If you are Dollar Cost Averaging, you are buying more and more units as the prices fall so that your average purchase price is getting lower and lower, and eventually when the price goes back up, you will make a better return.

I have some investments where my annual return is negative; was down -35% at the lowest point, now still down -22%...

Ignore all the numbers in this Bear Market, and just keep automatically Dollar Cost Averaging through thick and thin.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

To maybe answer the question, did you buy a mutual fund that has distributions? Total Return would count the distributions+dividends but obviously current price of the fund won't.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

zeroshiki wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:23 am To maybe answer the question, did you buy a mutual fund that has distributions? Total Return would count the distributions+dividends but obviously current price of the fund won't.
Yes it was an S&P 500 fund and will run for another 10+ years.
Anyway it’s not about looking at it every day or month.
It just appears so negative when, the total return is positive. We get a written report from saison every few months and it’s a simple written piece of paper and probably more reassuring as it shows the Amount in, then total return.
So basically what we are saying is ignore the very first tab on Rakuten , and click on the total returns if I want to see the LONG TERM results. That’s basically my question.
Unfortunately we do look at it monthly because I’m adding extra every month, because of this dip, so it’s hard to close your eyes at the first page that pops up.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Bubblegun wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:45 am
zeroshiki wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:23 am To maybe answer the question, did you buy a mutual fund that has distributions? Total Return would count the distributions+dividends but obviously current price of the fund won't.
It just appears so negative when, the total return is positive. We get a written report from saison every few months and it’s a simple written piece of paper and probably more reassuring as it shows the Amount in, then total return.
So basically what we are saying is ignore the very first tab on Rakuten , and click on the total returns if I want to see the LONG TERM results. That’s basically my question.
Unfortunately we do look at it monthly because I’m adding extra every month, because of this dip, so it’s hard to close your eyes at the first page that pops up.
Can you post the fund?
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:18 am
Can you post the fund?
We use eMAXIS Slim 米国株式(S&P500)
eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(オール・カントリー)

We are gonna let these just run for a decade, or even more if we don't tell the kids.LOL well at least until I visit the stock market in the sky.
I just think the screen can make it confusing when in reality the Total return should be the focus, not yesterday or last month.
I was quite happy getting my yearly report from the UK endowment reports, so I'm not too bothered about this, but its probably just my niggle, as it makes things look worse.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Bubblegun wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:37 am
Can you post the fund?

We are gonna let these just run for a decade, or even more if we don't tell the kids.LOL well at least until I visit the stock market in the sky.
I just think the screen can make it confusing when in reality the Total return should be the focus, not yesterday or last month.
I was quite happy getting my yearly report from the UK endowment reports, so I'm not too bothered about this, but its probably just my niggle, as it makes things look worse.
I think I know whats happening here, You may not be considering recent currency fluctuations.

Obviously you understand that the funds price changes Mon-Friday. The mutual fund prices are determined after trading hours and are reflected 6-10 hours later.

However we in Japan need to consider the USD yen rates. As the YEN regains a bit of ground, the value of the fund actually shrinks in yen terms.

Vice versa as the yen loses ground to the dollar the value of the fund grows.

This is why if you follow western financial news and check western USD denominated charts things will seem off.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:28 pm

Can you post the fund?

I think I know whats happening here, You may not be considering recent currency fluctuations.

Obviously you understand that the funds price changes Mon-Friday. The mutual fund prices are determined after trading hours and are reflected 6-10 hours later.

However we in Japan need to consider the USD yen rates. As the YEN regains a bit of ground, the value of the fund actually shrinks in yen terms.

This is why if you follow western financial news and check western USD denominated charts things will seem off.
OK, Thanks for that. Something I have never thought of.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Bubblegun wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:42 pm
TokyoBoglehead wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:28 pm

OK, Thanks for that. Something I have never thought of.
It is a bit of a brain bender. I suggest adding USD<=>JPY ticker to any of your finance tracking apps or spreadsheets just to give you a mental reminder. These fluctuations do not mater much during accumulation, but during retirement are worth a consideration.