Q; What happens if spouse dies?

Jed331

Q; What happens if spouse dies?

Post by Jed331 »

sorry if this has been asked before .......

In my case, I have not paid the normal J pension for the full amount of time but I am eligible for it (haven't been here long enough)
but my J wife has. What happens if she dies before me? (lets say we are both over 60)???? (We have been married for a long time)
Do I get some of her pension? I have done some searches but could find anything concrete

how does this work? any advice?

many thanks
captainspoke
Sage

Re: Q; What happens if spouse dies?

Post by captainspoke »

I think you have to have been her dependent.
Jed331

Post by Jed331 »

Thanks for the reply, can you clarify?
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

I think it's important to mention that term life insurance is extremely affordable. I strongly suggest a policy if you don't already have one.

Check Kakaku.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Check out the last post by ClearAsMud on this thread, and also his link to information on the wiki:

viewtopic.php?p=26960&hilit=Survivors#p26960

The advice to look into term life insurance is also good.
Jed331

Post by Jed331 »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:35 am I think it's important to mention that term life insurance is extremely affordable. I strongly suggest a policy if you don't already have one.

Check Kakaku.
Thanks
I do have a life insurance (for both of us) back home, but would like to get one here in Japan since this is where I will stay
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Jed331 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:17 am
TokyoBoglehead wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:35 am I think it's important to mention that term life insurance is extremely affordable. I strongly suggest a policy if you don't already have one.

Check Kakaku.
Thanks
I do have a life insurance (for both of us) back home, but would like to get one here in Japan since this is where I will stay
Check with your current broker if living overseas effects the terms of your contract, or if getting a second policy would have an effect.

Insurance can be very specific.

Kakaku has great details on Japanese policies. However, check your workplace. Term life insurance is offered an pretty competitive rates, and their are employee discounts.
Jed331

Post by Jed331 »

Thank you