Need a hanko when purchasing a house?

Teflon
Veteran

Re: Need a hanko when purchasing a house?

Post by Teflon »

ExpatScot wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:46 am Many thanks for the feedback. Something to do next week then. I presume the hanko should replicate the name I have on my gaijin card, middle name and all?
Yeah that's what I did and the registration went very smoothly. The hanko itself is large and cost 15,000 yen at Daimaru which surprised me but my Japanese friends said to get the fancy one so I did. The end result: three rows of Romaji in the form:

LAST NAME <-- larger font
FIRST NAME <-- normal size font
MIDDLE NAME <-- smaller font

As others have mentioned it's very boring but it matched my gaijin card exactly and therefore seemed to be the safest bet. Make sure to get the "Jitsu-in" type of hanko as outlined here:

https://www.realestate-tokyo.com/living ... nko-inkan/
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Perhaps since it was registered ages ago, mine is a single katakana: デ (first kana of my last name)

Never had any objections to it. I still have the registration certificate.
mule96
Veteran

Post by mule96 »

Same here. At the place where I live, the requirements are that the hanko needs to reflect any part of your official registered name (or an alias - which I dont have). I also went with my first name.
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:06 am One more thing about registering the Hanko with the possible exception of Chinese people you can't have your name in Kanji. In Latin letters or Katakana only.
My hanko is an abbreviation of my first name, in Katakana. I had the same trouble at the City Hall but thanks to an expired gym membership card that had my photo and my abbreviated name (hand)written in katakana, all was good and I now have that abbreviated version on all official documents & contracts. :lol:
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
ExpatScot
Regular

Post by ExpatScot »

Teflon wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:49 am
Yeah that's what I did and the registration went very smoothly. The hanko itself is large and cost 15,000 yen at Daimaru which surprised me but my Japanese friends said to get the fancy one so I did. The end result: three rows of Romaji in the form:

LAST NAME <-- larger font
FIRST NAME <-- normal size font
MIDDLE NAME <-- smaller font

As others have mentioned it's very boring but it matched my gaijin card exactly and therefore seemed to be the safest bet. Make sure to get the "Jitsu-in" type of hanko as outlined here:

https://www.realestate-tokyo.com/living ... nko-inkan/
Thanks, that’s the format I’ll go with too I think.
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

What is acceptable on a registered hanko is not standard across Japan, so it'd be best to check with your city hall/ward office before making the actual stamp.