Last minute furusato questions

Kiro
Regular

Re: Last minute furusato questions

Post by Kiro »

“ I am right in assuming I can take into account my stocks as long as I declare them during the 確定申告 phase (which I know I need to do!)?”
Yes, I always included mine (added to total) as I want to max out furusato nouzei. I presume you’ve been keeping record of price at vest and currency rate so it should be easy. You will need to declare them of course.
If you don’t take them into account in the simulator, your furusato nouzei allowance will be lower.

I have also always included the 社会保険料等 amount. When the 源泉徴収票 did not arrive in time, I simply added one more month to the yearly insurance total based off the month of November.
As regards dependents, same as you I cannot claim spouse (I just leave 0 in the simulator), only the non-spousal ones.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Are your stocks Restricted Stocu Units - RSUs, Grants, Options, or Employee Stock Purchase Plan - ESPP?

Each Calculation is a little different

RSUs and Grants, you have to take the Full Value converted into JPY on the day you receive them, and declare that as Salary.

ESPP and Options, you have to calculate the Profit over what you paid for them and declare that as Salary.

This sets the Tax Basis, and then any Future Gain over the Tax Basis when you sell them is taxed as Capital Gain in the future.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

Kiro wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:10 am “ I am right in assuming I can take into account my stocks as long as I declare them during the 確定申告 phase (which I know I need to do!)?”
Yes, I always included mine (added to total) as I want to max out furusato nouzei. I presume you’ve been keeping record of price at vest and currency rate so it should be easy. You will need to declare them of course.
If you don’t take them into account in the simulator, your furusato nouzei allowance will be lower.

I have also always included the 社会保険料等 amount. When the 源泉徴収票 did not arrive in time, I simply added one more month to the yearly insurance total based off the month of November.
As regards dependents, same as you I cannot claim spouse (I just leave 0 in the simulator), only the non-spousal ones.
Perfect, this is what I do. Actually as far as I was aware, 源泉徴収 doesn't arrive until January, but I always get my payslips on the 25th so I have full knowledge of what my 社会保険料等 will be (via the calculations described before). And yep, I know my RSU vest price in USD, and use the exchange rate on the day (whatever Google says it was) and use that as my calculation. Adding that into my salary and put that as my 給与収入 field.
Tkydon wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:30 am Are your stocks Restricted Stocu Units - RSUs, Grants, Options, or Employee Stock Purchase Plan - ESPP?

Each Calculation is a little different

RSUs and Grants, you have to take the Full Value converted into JPY on the day you receive them, and declare that as Salary.

ESPP and Options, you have to calculate the Profit over what you paid for them and declare that as Salary.

This sets the Tax Basis, and then any Future Gain over the Tax Basis when you sell them is taxed as Capital Gain in the future.
RSUs :) . Thanks, this has been my understanding so glad to get some validation!
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

My gensenchosyuuhyou is always available on the same day as my final payslip details come out - maybe this is a feature of the payroll company that handles my pay. I don’t even get a paper copy anymore, I only ever see it online now.

Gotta start selecting my furusato nozei goods tonight or tomorrow :)
TBS

Post by TBS »

sutebayashi wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:40 am Gotta start selecting my furusato nozei goods tonight or tomorrow :)
Enjoy! For everyone leaving things late this year, I'd recommend getting ready a little earlier next year and making the bulk of donations during Rakuten's point campaigns. You can easily get back 15->20% of the donated amount in points (& possibly more if you are a Rakuten black belt :twisted: ).
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

TBS wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:39 am For everyone leaving things late this year, I'd recommend getting ready a little earlier next year and making the bulk of donations during Rakuten's point campaigns.
Did mine in the December Super Sale ✅

OTOH forgot to budget for it, so will be tightening the belt for the next two months to pay myself back...
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

Haha yep I also left it too late, but did get some last month during rakutens campaign. Saying that, they do have an additional +1 today (day ending in 0) so still worth doing it!
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Viralriver wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:03 am Haha yep I also left it too late, but did get some last month during rakutens campaign. Saying that, they do have an additional +1 today (day ending in 0) so still worth doing it!
They also have a website which is crawling this evening. All these people doing their last-minute "donations" !
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.