Pay income tax individually in Japan for first time

JimmyK
Regular

Pay income tax individually in Japan for first time

Post by JimmyK »

Hi all. I noticed a number of posts related to paying income tax here, but I couldn’t seem to find anything that relates to first timers like me. Sorry if I missed it. I’m full-time employed and my company generally sorts out my taxes, but I’m doing it myself this year. In my case, the only deductible I have are: Furusato Nozei and one dependent (child). No mortgage, wife earning over min allowed, no medical expenses, no rental property and no life insurance. So, I think it ought to be fairly straightforward for me to do complete myself (with a bit of time and a good supply of coffee!). I’ve seen some info online, but can anyone direct me to where I can obtain the tax forms themselves, as well as guidance? Can it all be done online, or still needs to be printed out and posted/handed in to local tax office? Any potential hitches to be aware of? Incidentally, although I have ‘My number’, it’s only on paper, as I haven’t sorted out the card itself. Never a problem when my company does my taxes, so I guess it shouldn’t be when doing them myself? Any help (including direction to all related info and websites) gratefully accepted!
adamu
Sage

Re: Pay income tax individually in Japan for first time

Post by adamu »

JimmyK wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:30 pm the only deductible I have are: Furusato Nozei and one dependent (child).
It's too late for this year, but you can do the dependent deduction on your End of year tax adjustment with your company. See the Exemption for Dependents form linked on that page including English translation.

You can also do Furusato Nozei using the one-stop system. However, that must be completed by 10 January, so it's too late now.

If you had put your dependent on your end of year tax adjustment, and used the one-stop system for Furusato Nozei, it wouldn't be necessary to do a tax return this year (assuming your income etc. are within the limits).
JimmyK wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:30 pmCan it all be done online, or still needs to be printed out and posted/handed in to local tax office? Any potential hitches to be aware of? Incidentally, although I have ‘My number’, it’s only on paper, as I haven’t sorted out the card itself.
You can do it all online using eTax. However, you need the plastic My Number Card to submit it electronically. I believe there's a way to do it with a username/password instead, but you have to arrange that with the tax office beforehand. Even without the My Number Card, you can use eTax to generate the filled out paper form, and physically submit it to the tax office.

There is an official English guide to the tax return.
JimmyK
Regular

Post by JimmyK »

Thanks. I didn’t select the One Stop option with Furusato Nozei, so I believe that still allows me to claim that when submitting my tax return before March. In this case, my company isn’t involved and I need to do individually
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

JimmyK wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:46 am Thanks. I didn’t select the One Stop option with Furusato Nozei, so I believe that still allows me to claim that when submitting my tax return before March. In this case, my company isn’t involved and I need to do individually
The company is not involved if you do the one stop system either. It's handled directly between the municipalities and is not a part of the nenmatsu chousei. Useful for next time.

Yes, this year you will have to do a tax return to claim the deduction.
JimmyK
Regular

Post by JimmyK »

Sorry. Failed to explain myself clearly. Yes, I was referring to making a tax return. I believe the deadline for submitting that is mid-March. Apologies for the confusion. I guess I can kiss goodbye to a career as an accountant!
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

JimmyK wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:14 pm Yes, I was referring to making a tax return.
The point I'm making is that unless you need to do a tax return for other reasons, simply claiming dependent deduction and Furusato Nozei does not require one, as long as you use the one stop system. So, if you use the one stop system this year, you won't need to do a tax return next year... Unless you need to do a tax return anyway for reasons you didn't mention here.