Best all-country option within SBI iDeco?

ap21

Best all-country option within SBI iDeco?

Post by ap21 »

Hi there,

Holding only stocks in my SBI iDeCo account (thanks again to various people for their help with that post a while ago) and trying to decide how best to globally diversify. It feels like this is harder than it should be (by design?), as there's no cheap all-country stock fund available along the lines of the e-Maxis Slim All-Country. Anyone else in the same situation, can I ask what you settled on?

Thanks

Adam
Last edited by ap21 on Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
adamu
Sage

Re: Best all-country option within SBI?

Post by adamu »

ap21 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:08 am there's no cheap all-country stock fund available along the lines of the e-Maxis Slim All-Country.
There is, and it's the simplest option. SBI Whole World Index: SBI・全世界株式インデックス・ファンド(愛称:雪だるま(全世界株式)) (info on the wiki).

You can also mix eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(除く日本) and eMAXIS Slim 国内株式(TOPIX) to approximate All Country if you wanted to stick to eMaxis Slim, which is what I do, but it's not really worth the added complexity to be honest. The biggest concern I'd have about the SBI fund is that it's wrapping up US ETFs, which seems like a tax-inefficient strategy to me - the wiki goes into the details about that too.
ap21

Re: Best all-country option within SBI?

Post by ap21 »

Ah, I think - but would be very happy to be wrong - that those aren't available in SBI iDeCo; its lineup is a lot smaller than that of SBI 証券. It does have a string of eMaxis products but they're all annoying asset compounds that I don't understand with higher fees than I want to pay, rather than simple funds (that I don't understand slightly less!) But, a related question: could I ask what proportions you have the 除く日本 and 国内 funds in?
ap21

Re: Best all-country option within SBI iDeco?

Post by ap21 »

My apologies for a misleading post heading: now fixed.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Yes, it's in their iDeCo. The select plan, at least.

https://site0.sbisec.co.jp/marble/insur ... rch_result
ap21 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:48 am what proportions you have the 除く日本 and 国内 funds in?
I have it set to invest 7% Japan but it's currently sitting at about 8% because I've not rebalanced, and also not checked what the accurate percentage of Japan is lately.
ap21

Post by ap21 »

Thank you! All becomes clear: I wasn't aware of there being different plans available (it turns out I'm currently on the Original one) and will be changing to Select with all haste :) Again, thank you - that's saved me a lot of wasted effort. Thanks also for the 国内 proportion.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

ap21 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:58 am Thank you! All becomes clear: I wasn't aware of there being different plans available (it turns out I'm currently on the Original one) and will be changing to Select with all haste :) Again, thank you - that's saved me a lot of wasted effort. Thanks also for the 国内 proportion.
Yes, it was very sneaky of SBI to make a better plan for new customers while leaving existing ones on the inferior one. My wife was also on the original plan until I finally got around to changing to the select one last year.

A bit of a hassle but definitely worth doing.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
ap21

Post by ap21 »

The dastardly swine ;) Thanks, transfer application form ordered :)