Where is the money obtained from dividends in the NISA account?

TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Re: Where is the money obtained from dividends in the NISA account?

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:17 am
TokyoBoglehead wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:20 am
beanhead wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:24 am

You are buying funds in the T-NISA, correct? If so, there are no dividends (which is a good thing.)

The OP referred to ETFs, many of which do provide regular dividends. This is not the same as your situation with your T-NISA funds.
Correction. Yes there are dividends

The dividends are internally reinvested and not distributed. This avoids a taxable event.

It is preferable in almost all situations.
Even though the dividends are not redistributed to me, is there a way for me to see how much was reinvested for me? Like, per year, or per month?
Check through the monthly report and other documents. There should be a link to it on the fund page.

Or look at an ETF that tracks the same index.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

The dividends are internally reinvested and not distributed. This avoids a taxable event.

Correction not needed.
Since Roger was asking about where he can see his dividends, and comparing to the other poster who was talking about ETFs, the answer 'your funds do not produce dividends' is, for all practical purposes, correct.
Of course I understand that the dividends are automatically re-invested within the fund.
All the eMaxis Slim literature makes clear that there are no dividends. See below.
I guess to be absolutely precise we should say 'no dividends visible to the investor' or 'no dividends are distributed'.

https://emaxis.jp/pdf/koumokuromi/25342 ... 220723.pdf
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

beanhead wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:12 am

Correction not needed.
Since Roger was asking about where he can see his dividends, and comparing to the other poster who was talking about ETFs, the answer 'your funds do not produce dividends' is, for all practical purposes, correct.
Of course I understand that the dividends are automatically re-invested within the fund.
All the eMaxis Slim literature makes clear that there are no dividends. See below.
I guess to be absolutely precise we should say 'no dividends visible to the investor' or 'no dividends are distributed'.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.
"No dividends visible to the investor"...doesn't seem very transparent, does it?
How do I know for sure they are indeed re-investing anything?
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:17 am
beanhead wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:12 am

Correction not needed.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.
"No dividends visible to the investor"...doesn't seem very transparent, does it?
How do I know for sure they are indeed re-investing anything?
But you CAN see the dividend information. It's in the reports. They are available on every fund page by law, regardless of the broker.

(See attached)

Furthermore, it's an index fund. So it tracks and index, deviation from that index hints at some mismanagement (small deviations are acceptable. As you can see the index includes dividends.

Index: 特色1 MSCI オール・カントリー・ワールド・インデックス(配当込み、円換算ベース)

https://emaxis.jp/pdf/zenunyou/253425/2 ... 220425.pdf
Dividend.jpg
Dividend.jpg (29.89 KiB) Viewed 942 times
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:13 am
But you CAN see the dividend information. It's in the reports. They are available on every fund page by law, regardless of the broker.
I stand corrected. Thanks for that. Very useful.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.