CF83 response to UK?

Mr Tardy

CF83 response to UK?

Post by Mr Tardy »

I’m almost ready to send my CF83 to HMRC, but on reviewing the form, an idea struck me:

What if I mark question 9, “While you’re abroad, which address would you prefer us to use to contact you? UK/Abroad”, as “UK”?

I’m ordinarily resident in the UK by HMRC definitions, and have already received an SAR from HMRC at my UK family home.

At the very least, it would save time on the CF83 response getting to Japan. The processing might even be expedited!

Can anyone see any major pitfalls with this?

I’m assuming that whatever the typical CF83 responses are, they can photographed, sent to Japan by something like WhatsApp, and be dealt with here.

Cheers!
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Re: CF83 response to UK?

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Have you set up a gateway account? If you are not residing in the UK it is difficult to verify your identity. They ask for your telephone number for verification purposes. It is possible to set up a gateway account abroad you have to tell them you are not residing in the UK .
Mr Tardy

Post by Mr Tardy »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:58 am Have you set up a gateway account? If you are not residing in the UK it is difficult to verify your identity. They ask for your telephone number for verification purposes. It is possible to set up a gateway account abroad you have to tell them you are not residing in the UK .
I do have a gateway account, can see all the missing years NI payments on it.
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

Mr Tardy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:21 am I’m almost ready to send my CF83 to HMRC, but on reviewing the form, an idea struck me:

What if I mark question 9, “While you’re abroad, which address would you prefer us to use to contact you? UK/Abroad”, as “UK”?

I’m ordinarily resident in the UK by HMRC definitions, and have already received an SAR from HMRC at my UK family home.

At the very least, it would save time on the CF83 response getting to Japan. The processing might even be expedited!

I’m assuming that whatever the typical CF83 responses are, they can photographed, sent to Japan by something like WhatsApp, and be dealt with here.

Cheers!
You may have already sent your application, so my response here may be redundant, but:

1. Probably OK to use UK address for this purpose

2. Volatileresolve posted an update in another board which may be of interent: [url]viewtopic.php?p=27905#p27905
HMRC informed VR that provided an application was received before the 5th April 2023 deadline, payments would be accepted.

Mr Tardy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:21 am I’m ordinarily resident in the UK by HMRC definitions
At the risk of sounding pedantic, I don't think you will be ordinarily resident in the UK by HMRC definitions. (Also, HMRC have different definitions for different purposes, eg for NI purposes, tax purposes, etc.)

I think you'll have answered yes to Q12 "Are you ordinarily resident in the UK?" which is totally correct according to the guidance. It seems this question should really be phrased something like "Immediately prior to departure from the UK, were you (or, if you have not already departed, will you be) ordinarily resident in the UK?"

Repeat: not wishing to muddy the waters - there's nothing to change in your application here!!!

All in all, sounds like you're well placed for your application, even more so thanks to volatileresolve's update.

Best of British.
Mr Tardy

Post by Mr Tardy »

kuma wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:57 am
Mr Tardy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:21 am I’m almost ready to send my CF83 to HMRC, but on reviewing the form, an idea struck me:

Cheers!
You may have already sent your application, so my response here may be redundant, but:

1. Probably OK to use UK address for this purpose

2. Volatileresolve posted an update in another board which may be of interent: [url]viewtopic.php?p=27905#p27905
HMRC informed VR that provided an application was received before the 5th April 2023 deadline, payments would be accepted.

Mr Tardy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:21 am I’m ordinarily resident in the UK by HMRC definitions
At the risk of sounding pedantic, I don't think you will be ordinarily resident in the UK by HMRC definitions. (Also, HMRC have different definitions for different purposes, eg for NI purposes, tax purposes, etc.)

I think you'll have answered yes to Q12 "Are you ordinarily resident in the UK?" which is totally correct according to the guidance. It seems this question should really be phrased something like "Immediately prior to departure from the UK, were you (or, if you have not already departed, will you be) ordinarily resident in the UK?"

Repeat: not wishing to muddy the waters - there's nothing to change in your application here!!!

All in all, sounds like you're well placed for your application, even more so thanks to volatileresolve's update.

Best of British.
Thanks again for the informative responses, kuma.

For ordinarily resident, I was reading the NI38 form wrongly, taking "your home in the UK" to mean "family home".

The VR information is very welcome!

Cheers!