SBI Original/Select plans?

banders
Veteran

SBI Original/Select plans?

Post by banders »

I'm still on the original and just by chance read about the Select plan in another thread here today. What is the difference? I can't find any information about it even on the SBI site. Is there any advantage in changing?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: SBI Original/Select plans?

Post by RetireJapan »

The select plan has slightly better funds: https://www.dcnenkin.jp/search/product. ... &item=223C

Whether it is worth switching probably depends on how many more years you will be paying in. You will likely lose a couple of months' of contributions while switching.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

My current foreign stock fund (DCニッセイ 外国株式インデックス) charges 0.15% against 0.1144% for eMAXIS Slim全世界株式(除く日本). I'm planning to continue paying in for another 9 years. Any contributions I can't make into iDeCo I will save for the new NISA next year. I've just heard so much about eMaxis Slim I practically feel compelled to change :D

Off topic kinda, but what exactly is 'Defined Contribution' (DC in my existing fund) in the context of an index fund?
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

That fund was most likely created for DC plans which is the D and C inside iDeCo (Defined Contribution). It's basically the 401k plans of companies. My company DC plan actually only has that fund as the equity fund so I've been buying it for years now.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

banders wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:44 am My current foreign stock fund (DCニッセイ 外国株式インデックス) charges 0.15% against 0.1144% for eMAXIS Slim全世界株式(除く日本). I'm planning to continue paying in for another 9 years. Any contributions I can't make into iDeCo I will save for the new NISA next year. I've just heard so much about eMaxis Slim I practically feel compelled to change :D

Off topic kinda, but what exactly is 'Defined Contribution' (DC in my existing fund) in the context of an index fund?
That might not be worth changing, as losing a couple of months is going to make more difference than the 0.036% fee difference ;)

Defined contribution is the kind of pension account that iDeCo is (the name stands for Individual DEfined COntribution). It just refers to a pension where the amount you can put in is set, and your result is based on investment performance (in contrast to defined benefit pensions, where the results are guaranteed... kokumin nenkin kikin is an example of this).
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)