I want to buy US bonds

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
entdark
Regular

I want to buy US bonds

Post by entdark »

Long story short, European based in Japan.

I have savings in my home country I know I won't use for 1-2-3 years and I was thinking of buying bonds. Is there any gotcha I should be aware of in this case?

Also, any recommended broker to do the operation? I have a DeGiro but they only list european bonds. I want to avoid sending the money to my Japanese brokerage if possible.
adamu
Sage

Re: I want to buy US bonds

Post by adamu »

entdark wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:56 am I have savings in my home country I know I won't use for 1-2-3 years and I was thinking of buying bonds. Is there any gotcha I should be aware of in this case?
Are you willing to accept getting back less than you put in?
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

entdark wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:56 am Long story short, European based in Japan.

I have savings in my home country I know I won't use for 1-2-3 years and I was thinking of buying bonds. Is there any gotcha I should be aware of in this case?

Also, any recommended broker to do the operation? I have a DeGiro but they only list european bonds. I want to avoid sending the money to my Japanese brokerage if possible.
If you want advice on buying American bonds in Europe you will probably need to tell us where in Europe your base is. But realistically, you probably want to ask in a forum specific to that country and be certain that as an expat you are not breaking laws or paying extra tax.
entdark
Regular

Post by entdark »

adamu wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:55 pm
entdark wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:56 am I have savings in my home country I know I won't use for 1-2-3 years and I was thinking of buying bonds. Is there any gotcha I should be aware of in this case?
Are you willing to accept getting back less than you put in?
I was referring to 1 year bonds not the longer term ones. I was considering an ETF but there's no 1 year dividends paying one in my European broker. The currency might fluctuate tho.
Last edited by entdark on Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
entdark
Regular

Post by entdark »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:10 am
entdark wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:56 am Long story short, European based in Japan.

If you want advice on buying American bonds in Europe you will probably need to tell us where in Europe your base is. But realistically, you probably want to ask in a forum specific to that country and be certain that as an expat you are not breaking laws or paying extra tax.
Spain. Unless there's a problem with the Japan side of things I am not sure there are any other issues. I will try to check other forums and see if I find some answers.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

As I understand it the problem on the Japan side of things is that Japan doesn't allow international brokers to serve Japanese residents unless they are accredited somehow. Now, that's not a "you" problem but a "they" problem but it also makes most international entities wary of dealing with people who live in Japan.