Random Questions for Inaka Land Buying

Self

Random Questions for Inaka Land Buying

Post by Self »

I'm considering buying a small home in a somewhat inaka area.

This land is surrounded by private property, and one chunk of city-owned land. The property is set back from the nearby road and just has a narrow path which winds behind a house, then goes up some stairs to a higher section of land. The winding part and stairs are on city-owned land.

If the city decides to develop or otherwise use that land where I have access to the house, could I get trapped, or does the city have an obligation that any house has access to the road?

Regarding bamboo groves, is there any obligation to cut them down so they don't get too tall? There is a grove on one side of the property on a steep slope. I would just want to keep that, but I'm wondering if cities need landowners to keep their bamboo trimmed or anything.

Does anyone know about well removal? There is an old, unused well on the property and it is undetermined if the water is contaminated or not. The current owner has never used it and places the burden for checking it out on the new buyer. Would that be an expensive thing to get removed?

Is there any particular internet service that's better in rural areas? I do a lot of online work, so need a steady, reliable connection.

Thanks for any help.
Gulliver
Veteran

Re: Random Questions for Inaka Land Buying

Post by Gulliver »

I don’t know about the specifics of Japanese easement/right of way laws but the place to start would be the local houmukyoku (legal affairs bureau 法務局) to check the toukibo (real estate registry 登記簿).

I’m guessing you’re not using a realtor or they would be doing that research for you? Unless it’s recorded on legal documents, however, be sure to get any access assurances in writing. I don’t guess they would make you do a HALO insertion to get to your property but who knows. ;)