Which online broker should I choose?

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
Wilbur
Regular

Re: Which online broker should I choose?

Post by Wilbur »

sutebayashi wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:26 pm
Wilbur wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:41 am I get the keeping cash out of iDeCo / NISA. Can you explain more the reason why keeping bonds/bond funds out of them also is a good idea?
I think it depends on whether you are intending to take maximum advantage of the untaxed accounts or not.

If you aren’t going to max out your iDeCo or NISA, then no problem putting bonds in them too. Tax free is good for bonds too.

But if you are using up your entire tax free allocation, and also are putting more money into investments in taxed accounts, then you want to aim to keep the more profitable types like stocks in the tax free account, rather than eating up your tax free with lowering yielding assets like bonds. Thus minimizing taxes.
TokyoBoglehead wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:09 pm Points are only rewarded for tsumitate {regulatory scheduled monthly payments} (nISA or non nISA, not ideco) purchases.*

SBI - SMBC Vpoint cards up to 5% points back per 5man monthly monthly investment with platinum card, 1% gold, .5% free.

Rakuten - .5% points with Rakuten cash and Rakuten card.

Monex 1.1% with money card

Kabir - 1% with a Kabu branded card

*Rakuten has Precious metal tsumitate as well.
zeroshiki wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:52 am Returns on bonds are so low that putting them in a tax advantaged account is counter productive.
Sorry about the late reply. Thanks guys this all helps out a lot!
Wilbur
Regular

Post by Wilbur »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:09 pm Points are only rewarded for tsumitate {regulatory scheduled monthly payments} (nISA or non nISA, not ideco) purchases.*

SBI - SMBC Vpoint cards up to 5% points back per 5man monthly monthly investment with platinum card, 1% gold, .5% free.
I read this again, and just want to make sure about what you wrote. If I do regular scheduled monthly payments with a SMBC card to a Tsumitate Nisa, I will receive the points?

When I sign up for Tsumitate Nisa, is that when they also ask if I want a SMBC card or should I try and set up a card before signing up for Tsumitate Nisa, to speed things along?
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Wilbur wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:22 am

I read this again, and just want to make sure about what you wrote. If I do regular scheduled monthly payments with a SMBC card to a Tsumitate Nisa, I will receive the points?

When I sign up for Tsumitate Nisa, is that when they also ask if I want a SMBC card or should I try and set up a card before signing up for Tsumitate Nisa, to speed things along?
You can do it separately (I don't think you can apply for both at the same time). You just need a SMBC card. I think they have restrictions on the type so it has to be one of the generic ones that they offer from SMBC directly and not the branded ones.
Wilbur
Regular

Post by Wilbur »

zeroshiki wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:54 am

You can do it separately (I don't think you can apply for both at the same time). You just need a SMBC card. I think they have restrictions on the type so it has to be one of the generic ones that they offer from SMBC directly and not the branded ones.
Thanks!
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

The branded ones work usually, but you won't get points.

It needs to be a v-point rewarding card.

My Amazon card is also an option, but I would not get any points.
Wilbur
Regular

Post by Wilbur »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:52 am

The branded ones work usually, but you won't get points.

It needs to be a v-point rewarding card.

My Amazon card is also an option, but I would not get any points.
Thanks!