Old Car and Navi

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
concerned
Veteran

Old Car and Navi

Post by concerned »

Hi
I have an 8 year Honda and the Honda policy is only to allow the map updates for 3 years, so the maps are now pretty old.
If course I could use my Mobile and something like NaviTime but without my glasses its difficult to see when driving due to the small screen.

I dropped by AutoBacs today and they say I could replace the Navi unit in my car with a new one for about 100,000 Yen and I could update maps on this for 10 years at 25,000 Yen each time

Just wondering what others are doing?
Thanks
Moneymatters
Veteran

Re: Old Car and Navi

Post by Moneymatters »

concerned wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:39 am Hi
I have an 8 year Honda and the Honda policy is only to allow the map updates for 3 years, so the maps are now pretty old.
If course I could use my Mobile and something like NaviTime but without my glasses its difficult to see when driving due to the small screen.

I dropped by AutoBacs today and they say I could replace the Navi unit in my car with a new one for about 100,000 Yen and I could update maps on this for 10 years at 25,000 Yen each time

Just wondering what others are doing?
Thanks
We update the maps when offered. 99% of driving is local and elsewhere I’m ok to follow established routes.
I think a decent navigation with traffic data is likely better than a phone.

But if you are driving places you don’t have much choice on the route then maybe a phone is fine. I’ve used my phone when traveling outside Japan and it’s “fine”..
I saw someone using a tablet (iPad mini size) as navigation the other day. You could tether it from your phone for larger screen size.
Share a Navitime or Google account and program destinations and routes from your phone before even getting in the car.
"That guy"
TBS

Post by TBS »

concerned wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:39 am I could update maps on this for 10 years at 25,000 Yen each time
I suspect this is the price if you buy the maps in-store from AutoBacs.

If you are technically minded, you can download map updates directly from the manufacturer and upgrade yourself. Prices depend on the brand, but it should be cheaper than buying in store.

When I was looking years ago Kenwood was the cheapest of the "known" Japanese brands - ¥3960 for a yearly subscription to their MapFan Club, which gives two of their half yearly map updates. Kenwood only provide updates for 7 years from the release of each model however.

Likewise, with moderate electrical skills you can install the navi unit yourself. There are lots of Japanese YouTubes and blogs with instructions, including ones for your specific Honda probably. You can buy the unit yourself online cheaper than at AutoBacs. The difficulties are all in routing wires and installing compatible back cameras, TV antennas, ETC units, microphones for making calls, making it work with steering wheel buttons etc. If you don't care about any of those, switching just the navi head unit and installing the GPS antenna is not such a tough task. If you do, save yourself lots of swearing by going the AutoBacs route, or by buying a unit online and asking a local garage to install.

If you really want to save ¥¥¥, try looking at the Chinese Android units from Amazon/AliExpress. ¥25000 will buy you a "super-spec'ed" unit with Google Maps, LINE connectivity, YouTube, Spotify etc. But beware dubious usability, long-term updates availability & reliability.
concerned
Veteran

Post by concerned »

Thanks! all for the replies.
I must check into the iPad and tethering, the big screen would help here
Gosh I would avoid installing the unit myself, as you say there is a lot of wiring and potential swearing involved here :-)
Buying the unit online and asking my dealer rather than AutoBacs would also be something to look at
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

I don't have a navi and use Google maps exclusively. We drive all over the country and rarely have an issue.

A used iPad mini and tethering could do it all for ¥20,000.

Nowadays it seems navi is 'standard' in most (all?) vehicles, which means if you buy a new car it is baked into the price, and after a few years you are screwed unless you pay for the expensive updates, aaagghh.
Matt_Black

Post by Matt_Black »

With mobile reception pretty much everywhere in Japan I can't justify paying for an expensive car navi and map updates. I buy car audio units (no navigation) with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto which allows me to use google maps and other apps on my phone which then get displayed on the car audio screen. An example of such unit which I would recommend is Pioneer FH-8500DVS.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

A friend of ours recently bought a new Nissan Note. He wanted a nice new car for some post-retirement car trips. Ordered last summer, took delivery in February or so.

He admits he didn't check its navi out in advance, and just assumed it would be as good as or better than his previous car (a pretty old toyota, and I'm not sure if that unit was toyota-branded, or an add-on).

But... (and here's the heads up/PSA) he's been complaining pretty strongly about how inaccurate and how poorly done the navi unit is that came with the car. Really inaccurate directions/routing, taking you obviously way out of the way if you were to trust and follow that. He's not a complainer, but has apparently come down hard on his dealer and sales people, who have been zero help. He says the unit in his 15-year old toyota worked better.

And the navi in the Note is a built in part of the large-ish dash/display in the car, so it's not like he could put a unit in the 'normal' place those go.
concerned
Veteran

Post by concerned »

Thanks! again all
Turns out my wife has an iPad Air, which has a GPS chip and supports tethering , so will tether this to my iPhone and buy a mount for the car.
Even I replace the embedded unit in the car with a newer one at AutoBacs for 100,000 Yen, it may not be any good as the current one and then I am stuck with it and having to pay for map updates going forward...
Del

Post by Del »

Matt_Black wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:43 am With mobile reception pretty much everywhere in Japan I can't justify paying for an expensive car navi and map updates. I buy car audio units (no navigation) with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto which allows me to use google maps and other apps on my phone which then get displayed on the car audio screen. An example of such unit which I would recommend is Pioneer FH-8500DVS.
I agree with Matt_Black regarding using the Pioneer. We purchased from and had fitted by YellowHat a Pioneer FH-8500DVS 3 years ago, and have used both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay for navigation….sometimes a bit slow or too early on turns but practically faultless. Just connect either phone via USB cable to the Pioneer unit and you’re good to go. This is on a 12 year old K-Van which had a radio-cassette player. Only updates required are maps / google maps on either phone which of course are automatic.

Lots of navigation search options including via phone numbers in most cases. Even though the Pioneer units are Japanese only, you can set the navigation language from the respective phones. Built in Bluetooth (2 x phones), CD/DVD, FM/AM but no TV. Apps such as Spotify, TuneIn, Radiko, Apple Music, Audiobooks and my favourite GlobalPlayer ( for LBC UK ) via Android Auto & Apple CarPlay.

Navigating your way ( pardon the pun ) around the Pioneer unit takes some time to get used to, but as a choice these type of units should be near the top of your list.

Del :)
Retired to Japan :D Subsistence farming :shock:
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Pioneer --> Carrozzeria, once upon a time. When I bought my car (new, 2009) I wanted the best sound system possible, I got the top model carrozzeria for that, speakers to match (off amazon/rakuten). The dealer installed it. It still rocks. (I rarely use its navi aspect)