quitting a job in Japan

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
onyourmark2021
Regular

Re: quitting a job in Japan

Post by onyourmark2021 »

Actually I am OLD. That is why I have to leave. I did have a permanent contract and tenure at the university but at 65 that disappears. Now I am going back to the US to take a job there. I would prefer to stay in Japan but it isn't an option financially.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

onyourmark2021 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:29 pm Actually I am OLD. That is why I have to leave. I did have a permanent contract and tenure at the university but at 65 that disappears. Now I am going back to the US to take a job there. I would prefer to stay in Japan but it isn't an option financially.
The cost of living and healthcare are so affordable in Japan that It would have to be a pretty substantial pay rise over an extended period to be worthwhile.

Have you really crunched the numbers on this?
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Japanese law requires that you give just 2 weeks' notice.
I suggest you give a bit more than that, of course.
Give them as much notice as you can.

On the letter, writing 'personal reasons' is perfectly fine.

(Given the costs of everything in the US, I also wonder about returning there to retire. But that is up to you.)
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

onyourmark2021 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:29 pm Actually I am OLD. That is why I have to leave. I did have a permanent contract and tenure at the university but at 65 that disappears. Now I am going back to the US to take a job there. I would prefer to stay in Japan but it isn't an option financially.
Okay, got it. I'd then use what was offered at the beginning: "In Japan "一身上の都合により" is the standard phrase used on resignation letters when an employee quits."

And, given the extra details on this, I'd agree that the legal minimum is two weeks, tho of course if you're on good terms with them then do what your conscience tells you is a good way to do it.

I'm also old(er), 71, and also US. But since I've never really worked there, I don't have social security, and thus, at least at first, no eligibility for medicare (there is apparently a way to 'buy in' to that, but I've never fully explored it). Hopefully, you do have the 10yrs/40quarters of contributions for eligibility. It's gonna be a big move, a big step, so good luck!
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

It could be worth checking if you can get the Japanese pension paid to you in the US too.

Receiving a Japanese pension overseas
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

My experience when dealing with organizations is the less information offered, the better.

Just use the 'personal reasons' phrase above and let them file their paperwork.

A colleague of mine at a national university resigned a year before the end of his contract to go back to work in the US (he needed some more credits to qualify for medicare). It's no big deal.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

On receiving Japanese Pension overseas:

It is possible to apply from overseas, but it is probably easier to apply before you leave, if you have not already done so, or have your representative in Japan do it for you with a Power Of Attourney - 委任状
https://www.nenkin.go.jp/service/jukyu/ ... 40306.html

You can get paid to a bank account overseas, or to a bank account in Japan, but these days they force you to close Japanese Bank accounts when you leave, or at best limit access and available transactions if you plan to return, so that may not be a viable alternative.

You can fill out the Form,"Application Form For International Tax Convention" - 租税条約に関する届出書
https://www.nenkin.go.jp/service/jukyu/ ... les/02.pdf
"Application Form For Limitation On Benefits Article (US)" - 特典条項に関する付表(様式17-米)
https://www.nenkin.go.jp/service/jukyu/ ... les/03.pdf
and provide Form 6166 from the Internal Revenue Service
to receive permission from the National Tax Agency for payment of the Japanese Pension Gross, free of Japanese Withholding Tax.
https://www.nenkin.go.jp/service/jukyu/ ... hutsu.html

Under the US-Japan Tax Treaty Article 17
https://www.mof.go.jp/tax_policy/summar ... _ST_en.pdf
"ARTICLE 17
1. Subject to the provisions of paragraph 2 of Article 18, pensions and other similar remuneration, including social security payments, beneficially owned by a resident of a Contracting State shall be taxable only in that Contracting State.
2. Annuities derived and beneficially owned by an individual who is a resident of a Contracting State shall be taxable only in that Contracting State. The term “annuities” as used in this paragraph means a stated sum paid periodically at stated times during the life of the individual, or during a specified or ascertainable period of time, under an obligation to make the payments in return for adequate and full consideration (other than services rendered)."

Your Japanese Pension will only be taxable in the US, and not taxable in Japan, if you are living in the US.
(This is not the same if you are living in Japan, as the US reserves the right tax it citizens globally, despite the contents of Article 17... See Article 1...)
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.